Do you think driving laws are fair with regards to epilepsy?

Are driving laws pertaining to epilepsy fair?

• Yes

Votes: 162 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 72 20.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matchu, I'm sorry. I remember when I was told I could not drive. Oh man. And now that I am single again and I tell my date I don't drive, "no date" I hate it. Ignorance.God, I am sorry about that. Teresa

I am ok with it, because the way people are today and as my Neurologist put it "anyone you happen to get into an accident no matter for what reason what state of mind you are or who caused the accident. You will be sued to no end on" I have to agree with him, and I really don't to risk hurting someone else, but never really thought about it when I was drinking everynight.. Life sure does hand out lessons, sometimes to extremes to prove a point.... of course all this is subject to change at anytime without written prior notice is my mood decides it sees fit to do so. :mrt:

About the driving laws towards people with epilepsy

I have no idea what they are , for i never wanted to drive due to cost of insurance & plates & sticker going up & or down all the time . Too much of a hassel & besides what if you were alone in your car & had a episode who would be there for you? Think on that part...

But other than that i think there should be some leaniancy towards giving people with epilepsy a chance & not just say sorry & slap thier privliages away from them & make them shut--ins if they couldn't get out to go anywhere . Besides i was told many times by friends that sure i'll take you somewhere just call & then you call & they say sorry i'm busy "some friend huh"?

but other than that they should havesome kinda plan for those in our places of situations . Am i right or am i thinking other ways ? Please respond only by personal message to me thank you . Dave from kentucky . . . P.s. Does anyone know the laws for kentucky & if so please let me know thank you.

I also had a friend that said if ever I needed to go somewhere I should call him. Since he was the boss at work he could get away. I never called & I think he was a bit insulted so I had to sit him down & explain that being my permanent chauffeur was the best way to get tired of me & that I do have some pride & independence left.

I have to admit I was surprised & flattered by his offer.

:agree:

I have had several offers from people for lifts which I have never accepted, they have the best intentions, but at the end of the day they will soon get fed up, they would feel tied and responsible, they would then have to come up with some great stories too get themselves out of the situation, plus I would feel like I was 'putting' myself on people and I don't want to be left in peoples debt.

For my epilepsy its good. Because some people with my amount of seizures will drive I guess in some places they have to make it hard. Seattle, people are crazy.

Actually, we may be the lucky ones here. As expenses and gas prices go up, it will be less feasible to have cars at all. We should be demanding public transit everywhere. As cars start rusting on the sides of the roads, we will already be adapted to transporting ourselves otherwise.

Bicycles are not a bad way to go. One suggestion I have is put a little gas or electric motor on your bike, so you don't have to pedal so much. Gas motorbikes are usually classifed as mopeds, so you have to have license and helmet and all that.

Electric bikes or trikes are perfectly legal w/o a license or insurance! There are some very nice recumbent bikes, too; they are easier to ride. They are quiet, fewer moving parts to go wrong, and you can ride on bike paths.

Check "electric bikes" on net. One thing that affects range and power is battery; lithium ion batteries can get you 50 miles on a charge, charge in an hour, and are lighter - but very expensive! If people start buying bikes, the lithium batts will probably come down in price. "R Martin" makes a lower priced bike with a lith batt for around $800. If you want something very cheap, Currie makes one for $300 with heavy SLA batt that'll get you ten miles per charge. For local travel, this would be adequate.

Just remember, depending on where you live, you can be ticketed or ordered not to ride a bike if you have a seizure while doing so. I know....sounds silly, but it's true.

Will they tell us we can't walk without an attendant if we have one walking? Taking away license is basically telling us we can go beyond the boudaries of our own space. I once tried applying for public transit for disabled - they told me I had to be accompanied by an attendant. However I'm don't have enough seizures to get PCA service.

Driving with E. depends on a persons seizure history and pattern in Holland. Recently these rules were adjusted because of a change in law considering driving and medication in general. Many patients with E. lost their driving permission and there was a strong lobby of protest.
Yesterday the Dutch newspapers published this article (translated bij Google, so might give some strange scentences.)

http://translate.google.com/transla..._n_medicijnen.html&sl=nl&tl=en&history_state0=

At least, the Netherlands allows someone with epilepsy to drive at all. In USA if you have just one or two seizures a year, you're out! One bonus about living in Holland is the land is flat and everyone gets around by bikes. They should at least let people ride mopeds or electric bikes - we all need to transport ourselves.

This is scifi now, but it'd be cool if they make cars that can drive for you - you just point on the map where you want to go and the car drives you there. Might work if cars all went on electric rails. (Another idea is you measure brainwaves with some strap and car stops if your brainwaves are doing something weird.)

I still don't understand why they don't make people who have had heart attacks lose their license.

epilepsy and driving laws are they fair

I can only speak for the state of Florida, which will not allow me to drive. It is a monumental pain in the butt. Still I have to say the law is fair. I once had a seizure while driving, I had met criteria to get my license, and had a CP seizure. Scarey as hell, even more scarey was fact that had circumstances not conspired, against me, I would have been on vacation at the time, driveing interstate 10 instead of empty city street. So while I hate not driving it is best.

my brother came home with news of collegue of his dying whilst having a seizure just last week. It is not hipicritical we know what we have, a drunk has lost his ability to reason. never understood how you drink responsibly. sort of an oxymoron

Once again, worth repeating ...

I can only speak for the state of Florida, which will not allow me to drive. It is a monumental pain in the butt. Still I have to say the law is fair. I once had a seizure while driving, I had met criteria to get my license, and had a CP seizure. Scarey as hell, even more scarey was fact that had circumstances not conspired, against me, I would have been on vacation at the time, driveing interstate 10 instead of empty city street. So while I hate not driving it is best.

I drove for many years in Florida but my seizures were nocturnal;
it is up to the DHSMV in Florida (as they are known now) and each
case is determined individually. I actually surrendered voluntarily
on my own; even though the DHSMV wanted me to be evaluated
and worked up by my Neurologist who knew me well first before
I made that decision - but I just knew that I knew that I knew my
driving days were over with. I do not have any regrets for the decision
that I made.

Moreover, with all honesty; I was driving less and less, as the years
were going by - there were days I would not leave the house because
of seizures being poorly controlled. I could not live with myself with
the thought of endangering someone's own life or lives and/or even
my own as the seizures worsen. My own Physicians were pleased with
my decision I had made, they did not have to tell me to "Stop". I saved
them a lot of trouble there ... considering that having to confront to
a patient and advising them to voluntarily to cease driving is a very
difficult thing for a Medical Doctor to do and more often than not;
many patients are resistant to such and many times Physicians have
no options but to report them.

Your own health and well being is your Doctor's main concern. After
all he/she IS your Doctor and that is their job - to oversee your well
being. If they did not do such, then they are not doing their jobs and
did not care about you! (Ever see it from that angle?)

It is true there are people out there that tries to dodge the bullets,
but it is a shame really - when they are not realizing that they are
putting not only themselves into jeopardy but also the lives of others
as well - once they get behind the wheel ... regardless of what health
condition they have ...

NO ... I could not live with that. Could you?

I know I have posted this repetitiously, but it is worth being reposted;
for it weighs heavily - for their is precious life/lives involved.

Our exprience with NJ and licenses, I must say in their defense, was very pleasant and very humane. They were fair and on top of things. For that I am grateful. I was ready for a fight.. but it never came. It was nice :)

I think you must default to your Drs wishes and your general E pattern. My son, unless something changes, and we know that can happen, usually only has an issue within an hour of waking. Naturally we dont let him drive until hes up and about a few hour. Them's the rules here. If he gets up at 7am for an 8 am class. HEs not driving.

I wish everyone well *
joan*

I agree, and as I have posted before, to many lives are in danger. I do feel bad for those who can not Drive. I can't . I wouldn't if I could. Really, love is the answer. Do you love yourself enough to not to drive? Teresa

This is all very well and good....but there are those of us out here who don't have public transpo, and who are the primary bread winners. If I don't work, my family doesn't eat. Unfortunately, I live in a state where the docs are mandatory reporters. so needless to say, I'm not always honest with them. Does that harm me? Yes....because it means I can't get the care that I need. nowadays I'm more honest...but that's because I can blame the breakthroughs on my baby. Hubby tries to minimize how much I drive..but by the time he gets home from work, he's too exhausted to drive me...and trust me, I've seen him fall asleep while driving me to work. I wish CA was not a mandatory report state. To me, that's the fastest way to make people more likely to lie to their doctor.

Well then I think it is for you to ask yourself what is more important and see what options are there for you. Teresa

I think the driving laws for people with epilepsy is a neccessary evil. When my last neuro screwed up my meds and got my seizures way out of control, I could have gotten my license, after going one year, without lose of conciousness. But I didn't feel comfortable at that point. I think it was about 2 yrs before I felt comfortable getting behind the wheel because I was still having long, intense, frequent SPs. When they're long and intense and is when I could lose conciousness. I never know for sure, so it makes me nervous and I just have to ride it out and hope.

When my SPs are short and mild, I don't lose conciousness. People, not even my parents, can't tell when have the short, mild SPs. I've never lost conciousness having the short mild SPs.

Alot of people would drive when they're not ready to, if we didn't have the laws.

I don't think it's fair that, there aren't laws for other medical conditions (except blind and deaf) and for elderly. I didn't know it at the time, but my grandmother has told me about my grandfather driving around town getting lost or more than one occasion. My grandfather drove, until he died, at 88 yrs old. After hearing about that, I know he shouldn't have. At that age your judgement, reflexes, hearing, etc aren't as good either.

When it comes to driving, they need to scrutinize people alot more than they do. There's way too many people on the roads that shouldn't be. Public tranportation isn't good here either. But it's better than killing someone else and/or yourself on the road. I wouldn't be able to live with myself, if I killed someone on the road.

Back
Top Bottom