Coping With Epilepsy Dr. Karen Shue - Brain and Health
10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Toronto, Ontario
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Our House > Back Fence

View Poll Results: How long does it take you to really recover from a tonic-clonic?
I don't have t-c's 7 9.09%
under 30 minutes 1 1.30%
the rest of the day 11 14.29%
a day 10 12.99%
a couple days 26 33.77%
a week or longer 18 23.38%
I never really recover 4 5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2014, 02:16 AM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

I relate. I sometimes think i am all back to normal, get up and walk around rubbing my head, looking around in a daze thinking its all over and not knowing i am still quite out of it 'postictal' in a sense for a while. And some times i do recover much faster than others. I wish i knew why.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Joined the Party

mes2350,
I have chewed my tongue into raw hamburger meat so many times it is permanently distorted, though not terribly. There is a section along the side which is distended. I must have bit that sucker HARD! It tends to hang between the back molars on the right side, and I have to be careful not to bite it when talking. The point is; Ain't it great that the mouth and tongue are the fastest healing part of the human body? Broken legs and teeth are another matter.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Getting Comfortable

motorbill66,
Dang! As long as it still functions like a tongue should. The first time it happened I was amazed at how fast (relatively) it healed up!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:01 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

I had one last weekend early am and I was over it and feeling ok by 9 am. It was one of the best recoveries I can remember
Old 07-20-2014, 11:20 PM

recovery

Man I have always hated that post seizure recovery. The t/c's have always left me with a chewed tongue, and lifesize fear. A kind of mourning period that once again my brain has betrayed me! A week or more to fully recover. Last week I had a partial, the depression is the worst. I still have to go to work, no work no pay...eh. That in and of itself is depressing. Back when I was married I could stay home for a few days. Now its just myself.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Getting Comfortable

The worst tonic clonic seizure I had was about 20 months ago. I was unresponsive for 4 days I couldn't taste anything for about 3 weeks only after about 4-5 weeks could I start thinking somewhat straight and another few months to feel able to deal with people again. I also lost appox 12 years of memory that even now I only can remember small bits and those memories are like looking at a photo there is no feelings and a can't tell you when I have no time reference. So you could say I never have recovered from that one. I have had tonic clonic seizures since then one of which I woke up 2 days later strapped to a hospital bed.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 AM

Mike that is so bad I did not know that could happen. I would hate to lose my memories. You poor guy.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:41 AM

Mike it took me a couple years to fully recover from one and be me again. It was like the pathways to those memories had to reroute or rebuild. Hopefully in time parts of those 12 years returns.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:58 AM

I still have massive memory loss. I lost about 2 months of my memory. What I lack in quantity I make up in impact.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:45 PM

the day or even a 4hr nap.

My memory is just shitty, i do not lose chunks, but my short term memory is just gone down hill for about 3yrs now.

So i do not have anything lasting, just my tongue will be bit badly, sometimes i go on a bit of a rage when im held down to a stretcher from the paramedics. im 6ft & 205 so then they hit me with verset.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:11 AM
Joined the Party

I can relate to most about memory loss. Its frustrating and depressing.

I had the worst tonic clonic seizure ever! about a year ago. It happened at work. I remember nothing. I was told I had an hour long seizure. just crazy.
I came to 48 hours later in the hospital scared and confused. I didn't know where. I couldn't speak to ask how did I get here? what happen and why am I here.
they had put a tube down my throat. painful! when they were removing It. It look me about 2 months to start to feel like myself again.
it was horrible and I don't ever want to feel like that ever again. recovering is the worst of it. I et extreamly depressed.
I thinck on that day and wonder why did that happen? what did I do or not do?
Old 12-16-2016, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator / VNS Guru

No warnings, no aura

I always begin coming around in the ambulance. I am familiar with many of the EMTs because of my late friend's brittle diabetes. They were at David's house almost daily due to sudden drop of blood sugars. They tell me I had a seizure and I will already be crying and about half hysterical.

I never have just one seizure, I have several and they are violent and long. My tongue is chewed up and I'm confused for hours, yet I have memory right up to the start of the seizure. I'll also spend several days nursing a sore back, neck, jammed fingers, etc etc. I feel a serene calmness for several days

I bug everyone present for weeks to tell me everything that happened. I have no memories in the early post-ictal state but apparently I spend the time apologizing to everyone!

http://www.vnsmessageboard.com

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
(Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”

The Following User Says Thank You to Birdbomb For This Useful Post:
petero (04-04-2017)
Old 12-23-2016, 01:40 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Often about 36 hours a lot comes down to where I am.the aura can be monetary or go on always praying it not the euphoria or panic seizure often short duration but head ache go on long time and I find that the worse
Old 01-03-2017, 12:18 AM
Joined the Party

At least 24 hours
Old 03-30-2018, 10:05 AM

6-18hrs.

I typically sign my self out of the hospital and uber home if i do not have a ride.

But thats just me.