Sleep deprivation=seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
One of my main triggers is sleep deprivation and sometimes I have some insomnia like most of my family. My neurologist suggested sleeping meds but I am well aware of how addictive they can be. The only thing that always put me to sleep was cannabis. But I studying to become a high school math teacher and so cannabis is not a long term option. I will, tomorrow, contact my friend who is a nurse practitioner and he will most likely suggest "hypnotherapy". Something he has become very passionate about. I will try nearly everything possible, everything except hard drugs and sleep meds. I realize this post should have been placed in the Padded Room because I am merely venting, oh well...

PS: I am well aware of what time it is and how phone light makes sleeping even harder. I know, nothing else to say.

Hi finalpoet,

Just like you I was having problems with insomnia and having seizures in my sleep also then a few yrs. later my Epileptologist put me on medical marijuana and it helped relax me and I was able to sleep along with having fewer seizures. I also work in public school I work in Science, History, Physics and everything is fine. You may want to give it a try.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Fatigue is one of my main seizure triggers.
I have trouble with my sleep aswell, usually it's more the getting to sleep then actually sleeping. I asked my GP about a sleep med but he wouldnt give me anything & when I checked with my epilepsy nurse last year she suggested I not get anything from the chemist until I speak to my neuro. When I did speak to my neuro in Dec I was pre occupied wanting to disucss other things in the short time we had that I totally forgot to ask him about my sleep.

In the end I've been using other techniques like music, relaxation techniques but I found the best thing for me was a relaxation cd where someone gos through relaxation exercises. It nearly always puts me to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom