As per my doctor...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
so i had another doctors appointment on sunday, and he recommended i tell my work place about my seizures. At first i tried to argue that nobody noticed that i had them, but he then made the point that if i should have one that i dont snap out of, or a grand mal, that i could lose my job for with holding vital information.

So i told my boss lady and she suggested i tell the other guys. (i work with 15 people total and there are 2 women. myself and my accountant) because i am all over the building and if something were to happen while im not at the front desk and in the mechanic shop, then that could be bad.

So i told the other guys. all of them were understanding, but now i feel like i have all eyes watching and waiting for me to hit the floor, bite my tounge off, foam at the mouth and twist my head 360 degrees. and if im stationary for too long i get asked "are you being unresponsive?"

i feel like all i think about is keeping moving and if im under a truck working i gotta keep talking or humming so they know im not seizing. im so worried about having them happen at work because everyone will notice now.

that paranoid feeling like "big brother" is watching is creeping me out. Any thoughts? this never bothered me before because no one knew. I should feel better that they do. but somehow i don't. :paperbag:

I have not told the people I work with. Most of my seizures have happened at work and no one noticed (makes me wonder how weird am I "normally"??)
I do wear a medic alert anklet bracelet that has "seizures" and my emergency contact info. I am concerned about being what their attitude would be. I have only had simple and complex partials.
It would probably be best to tell...but I am not comfortable enough to do that. I wish I had the confidence that you do!

I suspect it's a mixture of concern and curiosity from your coworkers. Like any kind of change in information or perspective, there's an adjustment period for people. When they realize you're okay, and everything becomes normalized in their minds, the hyper-vigilant behaviour will stop. Also, it's okay to tell them to back off. Sometimes that's all they need to know in order to realize that you're not some fragile package.

Otherwise, it sounds like you have a pretty supportive work environment. It's good that you are able to be open about it, and help remove the stigma of E for a few people.

I totally understand. When I first told my mom-in-law about my seizures and we moved into one house, I would wake up to find my mom-in-law checking up on me while I slept. Kinda creepy, but I knew she meant well. OCCB is prolly right. It's most likely a combo of curiosity and concern. I have grand mals...so when I have a seizure, it's waay obvious. And yes, my hands and feet look like they are trying to turn a full 180 degrees, I convulse, bite my tongue, and have even wet myself (that was a bit embarrassing). I found what helped was to tell the people I work with (and the students in my class..yes I'm a public school teacher...) exactly what mine look like and how to help me if I have one. That way, they know what to expect. I also told them how the seizures effect me and how if I do have one, I'll be back the next day after I have a chance to rest. Since I was relaxed about it when I told them, they were relaxed about it. In fact, I have students who come up and tell me about their own seizures or a relatives seizures every year. They are actually not as much of an oddity as one would think. In fact, if I remember correctly according to the CDC, one in 100 people in the US have E. And one kind of migraine has been redesignated as actually being a kind of seizure. As I said, it's not that rare of a medical condition. But remember, if you have coworkers who have never been around it, how you react will set the tone. If you appear to be nervous, so will they. If you just go on living your life and they can see that nothings different about you, they'll relax. Hope this helped! :)

i felt a litte *okay, alot!* embarrassed to tell them as i was telling them all seperately because i didnt know what their individual reactions would have been. I also didnt want to tell them all at once in the lunch room cuz i probably would've cried and it was easier to only answer thequestions that one individual asked then everyone knowing the answer to something if they didnt ask. It was very hard to do, but i figured they were right and they "had the right to know". We wwere told about our other co-worker who has a severe allergy and if something were to happen there is an epi-pen in 3 places around work. also who is diabetic was told too. Our work is pretty tight nit, i will say that. I have only worked here since january but its one of those jobs were your not loathing going to work, or claling in just cuz your tired cuz you'd rather not be there. people here are great and im glad i have them to tell and not my old co-workers. It would have become gossip around all the 10 locations and morphed into how i am ana lien or something immature.

Also to add to skilly's mention of people who most likely know others. *cant remember at the moment how to quote someone* but your right. all 15 people at work know someone close to them who has it. most of them neices or nephews. one with a son and and and one who had them when he was younger and grew out of it. He is 38 now.

I think that alot of people fear the unknown. It's that dang stigma still surrounding E. My husband keeps insisting he fears that I may swallow my own tongue despite me showing him internet info that says otherwise.

Last edited:
I can only suggest my approach to situations that make me feel "unique". It is what it is, and you can only be the best you that you can be.

I bet there are just as many people watching you because they are quite impressed that you are able to continue going about your good work, and living a fulfilling life. They put themselves in your shoes and are not sure they could be so couragious. The fact that you put one foot in front of the other each day, brings them hope in case they find themselves in a similar situation.

why did the EPIpen change to epileptogisit pen? or did i wirte that and not notice?

Some of the common phrases used on here (such as A E D -I put spaces in so it didn't do it) will automatically 'lengthen' themselves. I imagine for clarity for newer members reading the posts, and also as it's pretty laborious to write it in full each time.

I tried

to be very careful about who I told at work. It spread like wildfire anyway. Now, the cute guys that stop and talk to me aren't getting any personal info, they are checking up on me to make sue that I am 'ok' :paperbag:

Back
Top Bottom