Coping With Epilepsy Medikidz Comic Book Explains Epilepsy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > Surgery Central

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2018, 06:34 AM
Joined the Party

AED after surgery

How long after ones had temporal lobectomy surgery would they normally be taken off their medication?

It's been around 1.5 years since surgery and I've gone without a seizure since, but I don't seem to be hearing from my consultant or anyone else from hospital about being taken off my medication!.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:55 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

There should be no rush to ween of anti-epileptic drug unless it is a health concern.

I'm currently past 53 months after my RTLS surgery. I still take the last anti-epileptic drug I was on prior to my surgery. In my mind I feel I should wait longer. Once I reach the point of seizure free passes the amount of years I was on anti-epileptic drugs before surgery, then I will consider weening.

I've been on anti-epileptic drugs for over 20yrs. So if I reach 20yrs, I will probably ween.

My current neurologist is not pushing me in either direction. It's my choice, when I'm ready to ween, I'll get the needed help to do it.
RTLS went well 4 years down, life to go!, *Trileptal 900MG AM / 1200MG PM* (until I feel ready to reduce dosage once other issues are under control)
Old 10-27-2018, 12:17 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Hi Itr786,

I had the right temporal lobectomy done back in 1994 and I'm still taking meds but a lot less and the dosage is much lower. The reason why I still take meds is because the surgery reduced my seizures over 50% but even if they had stopped there was a chance of them starting again because I had more than one area triggering seizures. Don't be surprised if your Dr. wants you to stay on your seizure med for good. Iwish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 10-27-2018, 06:27 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Thanked 1,291 Times in 922 Posts
I had my surgery in 2011, when I had mine I was on Keppra & Tegretol and the goal was to get me on 1 medication. I had to be 12 months post surgery until I could discuss with my neurologist about coming of a medication.

We decided on Tegretol which we started reducing in 2012 but did it slowly & it took 12 months. I was completely of the Tegretol by April 2013 but a few months later i started having funny feelings which a video EEG later revealed to be focal seizures.

I went back on Tegretol & have had a few medication adjustments over the years to try to reduce the seizures. At the moment I'm on Keppra, Tegretol & Zonegran which is the best combination so far.

One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day