AED after surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Itr786

Stalwart
Reaction score
How long after ones had temporal lobectomy surgery would they normally be taken off their medication?

It's been around 1.5 years since surgery and I've gone without a seizure since, but I don't seem to be hearing from my consultant or anyone else from hospital about being taken off my medication!.

There should be no rush to ween of AED unless it is a health concern.

I'm currently past 53 months after my RTLS surgery. I still take the last AED I was on prior to my surgery. In my mind I feel I should wait longer. Once I reach the point of seizure free passes the amount of years I was on AEDs before surgery, then I will consider weening.

I've been on AEDs for over 20yrs. So if I reach 20yrs, I will probably ween.

My current neurologist is not pushing me in either direction. It's my choice, when I'm ready to ween, I'll get the needed help to do it.

Hi Itr786,

I had the right temporal lobectomy done back in 1994 and I'm still taking meds but a lot less and the dosage is much lower. The reason why I still take meds is because the surgery reduced my seizures over 50% but even if they had stopped there was a chance of them starting again because I had more than one area triggering seizures. Don't be surprised if your Dr. wants you to stay on your seizure med for good. Iwish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I had my surgery in 2011, when I had mine I was on Keppra & Tegretol and the goal was to get me on 1 medication. I had to be 12 months post surgery until I could discuss with my neurologist about coming of a medication.

We decided on Tegretol which we started reducing in 2012 but did it slowly & it took 12 months. I was completely of the Tegretol by April 2013 but a few months later i started having funny feelings which a VEEG later revealed to be focal seizures.

I went back on Tegretol & have had a few medication adjustments over the years to try to reduce the seizures. At the moment I'm on Keppra, Tegretol & Zonegran which is the best combination so far.

Back
Top Bottom