4 clear EEG's Epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

donnajane

New
Reaction score
Hi, Our almost 12month old son had his 4th EEG today which again came back all clear other than a few small "bumps" but we were told there were basically normal. Although our Nureologist and another he showed his video footage to both said he looks like he is having "epileptic events"/Tonic Events the Nureologist today said he feels he can now rule out any "nasty epilepsy".
Our son still "vagues out" and falls over usually when trying to crawl, sometimes he just sits and stares and you can call him and he won't respond at all. Sometimes when he vagues out while trying to crawl he lies on his side and then has spasms of his left leg and arm then often lies motionless then suddenly "comes back" and starts to try and crawl again. His Shudder Syndrome has improved greatly and often he has days without any shudders, he still has arm spasms. When he is pulling himself along the floor, not crawling yet, he often does not use his left arm or leg. Nureologist said he thinks some of his "events" are more behavioural now. He still would like weekly emails and when he reads these flags anything of concern.
Can our little man still be having seizures although he has had 4 clear EEG's? My husband and I both agree we would feel more confident if bubs has an MRI but Nureologist says at this stage its "not needed". If things have not gotten worse and he is still developing Nureologist said he will review if he needs to see him again. We know that the next 12months are very important in his diagnosis but are confused as to how he keeps having clear EEG's.
Donnjane.

Were the EEGs done after sleep deprivation? If not, then they are less likely to show seizure activity, particularly in children. Another possibility is that the activity is too transient, or originates too deep in the brain to show up on the EEG. Lastly, the brain isn't fully developed until year 4 (though it does keep growing after that of course). So there may be changes over that period in what shows up on an EEG or MRI.

I know you like your neuro, but is there any chance that you could get a second opinion or evaluation of your son's symptoms?

WOW. You are so full of information. I am so glad we found this site. No he had just had a sleep before doing the EEG, wish I had known about the sleep issue before. Our son in some ways seems better as the episodes which were the most "active" in nature, his Shudder Syndrome happens rarely now but the ones where he vagues out still happen as do his arms spasms and although he is now moving around a lot he still has issues with his left side. Hubby and I know we are probably being impatient as his brain is still developing and we are also trying to "not read into" everything he does.
Thanks again for the info you are awesome.
donnajane.

Back
Top Bottom