Could crying for no reason be evidence of a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
This morning my son was lying in bed and just flopping around. He then just started crying and when I asked him why he was crying said he didn't know why. Could it be a seizure? Anyone else have experience with this?

Toronto Mom,

Some partial seizures in the temporal lobe take the form of intense emotions, like fear, anger, sadness. Crying could either be a seizure, or be postictal (an effect after after the seizure). I've cried a few times after mine, out of pure frustration.

He did tell me later that he had the "weird feeling" again. He tells us that he feels that his arms are moving, but they aren't. We have so many questions that need to be answered. This forum is so helpful. Thank you. I hope you are well. Are your seizures manageable?

When I was younger I would cry after a sp in which extreme fear or extreme sadness was felt. So yeah it could be post ictal in nature.. or just frustration. Endless, I've had a few frustration crying spells too. Sometimes you just want to explode..

I often have emotions run wild after a seizure, usually negative ones. Just one of the post-ictal events that make life interesting.

Hi, Toronto Mom,

Thanks for asking. Except for this pesky seizure disorder and the side effects from the meds, I'm quite healthy. :)

Your son feeling limbs moving when they aren't - that sounds like a seizure, too. They take some really strange forms sometimes.

Dear Endless,

Its nice to see that you have a sense of humour about it! Have a fantastic weekend!

i do tend to get emotional sometimes before or after a seizure, i hear it is common, but i am also diagnosed as bipolar so it's hard to tell where my mood swings come from.

sometimes i have a weird sensation of moving too, like if i'm laying down in bed, i will feel like i am swinging or rocking back and forth, kind of like i'm in a baby cradle or hammock i guess, although i am on a sturdy bed with a metal frame

Back
Top Bottom