15 Month old daughter diagnosed as epileptic :cry:

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

krice2004

New
Reaction score
My 15 month old daughters Mri and 24 hr EEG came back as normal except for a pineal cyst on the brain, of which I was told was common and benign. All of her seizures but 2 were all febrile, her most recent this week was unprovoked and was the longest one she has had so far reaching to almost 2 1/2 minutes. Followed up and took her into to see her pediatrician and called into her neurologists office, I was not expecting the call back that I got. Was told over the phone that he was diagnosing her as epileptic due to her now 2 unprovoked seizures. Her seizures usually accompany fever or when she is ill, and are sporadic and sometime they are months apart. He wants to start her on Keppra and B6 asap. Me and my husband think that we are being rushed into giving our daughter meds. I told the doctor my concerns about the medication and he said that he is very adamant about wanting to start her on these now! I am, looking for any advice on this ro if anyone else has been in this situation. If she was having them more frequently then I would not hesitate to give her the meds, but I worry that the diagnosis was made hastily.. I just don't want to give her medication that she may not even need, what if she doesn't even had epilepsy... We are in the process of getting a second opinion. Any insight to this, please fill me in. I only know what I have read so far about the disease, and maybe I am in shock and disbelief. I also wanted to know if anyone knew if seizures or aka epilepsy is linked to Tourettes? My son was diagnosed with Tourettes back in July when his tic's got really bad, and I read somewhere that they may be connected. Thanks in advance for all your input and advice.
Desperate for advice and knowledge.

I think after 2 seizures and one being prolonged I would medicate. Someone on here once said "Seizures beget seizures" which means the more you get the more you are likely to have. But that is only a decision you can make. Thats great your Dr recommended B6 along with the Keppra. Wish someone had told me that in the beginning, my daughters mood swings and anger were tought o deal with at first. They are better now. Good luck with your second opinion, hope it goes well!!

Back
Top Bottom