17 yrs seizure free-old member returning to forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Karen,

Musicality is sucb a wonderful underpinning to verbal experience. What would human beings be without the music of words? It would be terrible!

I am wondering if Jon would enjoy hearing you or electronic someones reciting poetry, silly poems or not silly -- such as Robert Frost or W H Auden [something with a beat]. The understanding is not important -- it is the music and the beat! Even if it does not look like he is noticing. I am thinking that for a musical kid like Jon, making lots of room for non utilitarian play with words probably has a big impact. [If you see what I mean!]
I had/have serious learning difficulties. Did not learn to read until I was 12 and writing is an artificial activity that I learned when I learned to type. Fortunately for me, my family was musical. My mother worshipped Mozart to the point that she thought it was rude to walk around when Mozart was being played [on a CD]. Mozart required full attention, and full attention meant being seated -- according to my mother!

Bidwell
I can't speak for Karen but there's tough parents who won't give up on their kids.

Even when the going is sometimes very challenging. We all have motivations we all feel and we all need to communicate somehow..

Blonde Angel, I hope you understand that I know YOU are tough and I certainly don't think it is even possible for you to give up on your girl! Just in case it has not come through, I think you are wonderful.

What I meant in my last post is that I fervently believe that "play" with music and the sounds of words has a BIG IMPACT on the ability to think and speak verbally even if there isn't any obvious one on one result.

I wrote that about Mozart and my mother because she was so silly that way but also because I am so grateful to her that she was that way! She loved music.

Last edited:
Bidwell
I can't speak for Karen but there's tough parents who won't give up on their kids.

Even when the going is sometimes very challenging. We all have motivations we all feel and we all need to communicate somehow..
My reply comes from the child's point of view, and parents can give up very easily with out trying to find all the facts.My mother never tried to find out side effect of drugs.
She forced brain surgery on me when I was grown.nothing worked and she doesn't want to hear how anything is going, and if I don't mention my seizures she bring them up.

Belinda, THANK YOU for your interpretation of Blonde Angel's post. On my own I might not have caught on -- though I have still been thinking about it. Blonde Angel's little girl is a lucky one.

When I think about what you tell me in regard to your mother's treatment of you, I don't have words to say what is in my heart. I myself am not afraid of being angry and I know you aren't either. That helps. At the same time my anger could eat up my life and I am always having to think my way through it, if you know what I mean.

I am hoping things have calmed down for you lately. Take care!

It's all good Bidwell.
You are very tough, and don't ever go allow anyone or you to put yourself down .

Last edited:
Belinda
I was sad to read that your mother forced what she wanted not what you wanted . My own parents thinks what the Drs say is total gospel and they can never be wrong. So we agree to disagree on that.
Don't get me wrong they love all my kids equally, but we disagree on the usefulness of complementary stuff not just meds.

Zoe and I were talking about this book earlier in a PM and I thought others might like to see it as well:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0143114964...qmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4xkdmkokv3_e

It is a very well balanced work that debunks the bad science behind the past several decades worth of fat-phobia.
It's not specifically a "paleo" book, but it argues for eating food as it grows with a minimum of human interference.

It's called "In Defense Of Food" by Michael Pollan

I just finished it and it is an important book for the very good critique of some long standing bad science. My bent is toward the vegan diet, but it is certainly not the only good diet around. There are many as is noted in the book.

I should show that book to my parents....
That book was actually one of the big reasons I was able to convince my father to go paleo.
What it shows is that "paleo" is not some new fangled fad, it's just real food the way that it used to be before humans started messing with it.

Well, there's been some debate and controversy about going Paleo.. I'm reading my local newspaper and there's an interview with that English Chef Jamie Oliver.
He's promoting a book " Everyday Superfood." He essentially promotes the " eat less meat, get more sleep and forget food fads."
Another thing he adamantly opposes the idea that coconut oil is the best thing on the planet, that's its total bollocks and that it's full of saturated fats and that we need to get our facts right....

Hmmmmmmm. He promotes Woolworths stuff ( 1 major grocery chain in Oz), Woolies has his image promoted on their products. He has his name to some chicken products that Woolies sell.... I'm sure he's not doing that for love.
How convenient he speaks this things about coconut oil when he's promoting his book, like anyone promoting a product the aim is to attention grabbing.

It's called marketing.

Yep. That sounds like a certain assistant professor of Chinese philosophy with no medical or scientific credentials whatsoever who wrote a very vehement article trashing Dr. Perlmutter's ideas just to make a big noise and promote his own book which basically says "Eat anything you want. Whoopie! All "diet" ideas are nonsense". I could have written that book in an afternoon.

Now anytime someone googles Dr. P, this other "science journalist's" name comes up as well when no one would have even known he existed otherwise.

It'a all marketing.

And I wonder what else is in those "chicken products" that is not really chicken and what chemicals the chicken were fed or shot up with. Easy to trash paleo when your paycheck is coming from fake food manufacturers.

Last edited:
I checked with Bernard about breaking this thread into one or two others. It can be a big chore, so maybe better to start a new thread. My two proposals are;
1. Start a thread for developmental disorders and epilepsy, to include Downs', Autism, and others hat come up.

2. Start a thread or threads, for specific diets and epilespy, one for each diet?

Does this work for folks? What about putting some of the diet posts here in the "Dietary Changes..." thread/

I think the diet posts could all go into the "Dietary Changes" because that's sort of all-inclusive. Except that thread's getting a bit long.

I wonder if there's already some threads for Developmental Disorders and Epilepsy? Maybe down in Nursery?

ETA: OK, I found a thread down in the nursery for Autism & Epilepsy that was started last year. It didn't go anywhere at the time, but will attempt to resurrect it, since different people come here at different times, and it may hold some interest for some current members.

Last edited:
Zoe, I don't have real opinions about how to do this, except that I am adverse to the idea of a thread for each specific diet because I learn from learning about the range and the issues of each. But thanks for all this effort.

Karen and Bidwell,

Karen, this is the link I just saw when logging in. http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f42/autism-epilepsy-general-epilepsy-experiences-23950/

I will make a point to post autism\epilepsy stuff there, thanks.

Bidwell, I have no set ideas on this either. I was just finding it harder to navigate without particular topic threads, and this one being wide-rangiing . We don't want to get too narrow in a focus either, of course.

Karen, should I get diet posts from this thread moved to the "Dietary Changes" thread?

Thanks for the feedback!

Karen and Bidwell,

Karen, this is the link I just saw when logging in. http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f42/autism-epilepsy-general-epilepsy-experiences-23950/

I will make a point to post autism\epilepsy stuff there, thanks.

Bidwell, I have no set ideas on this either. I was just finding it harder to navigate without particular topic threads, and this one being wide-rangiing . We don't want to get too narrow in a focus either, of course.

Karen, should I get diet posts from this thread moved to the "Dietary Changes" thread?

Thanks for the feedback!

Zoe,

My personal opinion is that this thread should be about *your* journey, all the things that did or didn't work for you be they dietary or otherwise.

Yours is an inspirational story. People want to hear it.

I do agree that developmental disabilities in children is a *huge* topic unto itself that might be better off in the nursery.

Back
Top Bottom