17 yrs seizure free-old member returning to forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I will move some of the messages here to "dietary changes" or the "autism\epilepsy thread.

Zoe..
I want to pick your brains :)
Some questions only if you are comfortable to answer if you choose...

*What was that pivotal life changing moment that made you think " enough is enough with the meds to question, research what else is out there for me?"

*You were in a time where conventional stuff was really promoted and if you didn't take meds one was labelled as " irresponsible", " extremist " perhaps??

*How did your research enable you to understand the belief that changes can be possible for your health situation?
* Were you able to attend any seminars, meet interesting people not just google stuff and of your own research?

For me... I have to read my girls behavious carefully, I have nothing else for now..
I suppose it's like activism, the belief that change is possible don't get stuck in what's just there and that's the way it goes .
Challenge, question no matter how dumb it is, ask that why ask that how... What happens if this is added to my list of this and that is it ok or not.
Review, record and revise, keep searching... What is going to make her happy and healthy and try to incorporate healthy lifestyles for all .
It's just a part of my life.

Regarding threads related to specific diets vs. more general diet/nutritional threads: I vote for both! :) And I recommend using thread titles and tags that can help those who are searching for more detailed information on a specific topic. I think anecdotal journeys can be really helpful, fascinating threads, even if they become long and winding roads. (I'm thinking in particular of the thread by RobinN that began as posts about her daughter's neurofeedback treatment and ended up being about nutritional changes that seemed to have even more significant impact.)

Zoe..
I want to pick your brains :)
Some questions only if you are comfortable to answer if you choose...

*What was that pivotal life changing moment that made you think " enough is enough with the meds to question, research what else is out there for me?"

*You were in a time where conventional stuff was really promoted and if you didn't take meds one was labelled as " irresponsible", " extremist " perhaps??

*How did your research enable you to understand the belief that changes can be possible for your health situation?
* Were you able to attend any seminars, meet interesting people not just google stuff and of your own research?

For me... I have to read my girls behavious carefully, I have nothing else for now..
I suppose it's like activism, the belief that change is possible don't get stuck in what's just there and that's the way it goes .
Challenge, question no matter how dumb it is, ask that why ask that how... What happens if this is added to my list of this and that is it ok or not.
Review, record and revise, keep searching... What is going to make her happy and healthy and try to incorporate healthy lifestyles for all .
It's just a part of my life.

Hi Angel,

Yes, there was a cathartic moment, when I suddenly realized were better ways than the drug-induced nightmare in which I was then living. It will take a day or two to tune up my soap box and get rolling. You will get an ear-full, guaranteed!

First and foremost, never buy into the idea that the situation is hopeless, that nothing you do can help. This simply is not true. I could not, of course do anything about the blood vessel disease that causes my strokes, but there was plenty to do to address the seizures that came with the brain damage. I'll fill up my ink well and get writing shortly!

Last edited by a moderator:
The rest of us would like to hear you from your soapbox too if these are things you feel comfortable airing outside of a PM.

Zoe.
Im echoing Aloha's sentiments, only post what you are comfortable with sharing .

I did not know you are in the process of writing your experiences. Good on you.
This thread is about you now.

Tune up the soap box when you are ready....

Zoe
Someone gave me the best advice and it was by another parent..
She said.
" trust your instincts."

Hi Angel,

I copied down your questions and have the weekend free to write away. You ask great questions!
Cheers,

Last edited:
Hey Zoe.
I'm reading a newspaper, which interestingly seems to state that the " latest" research is stating that sleeping for more than 8hrs a night may not be good thing.
Sleep affects the stroke risk in that " short sleeps of less than six hrs a night were associated with a 19% increased risk of stroke. " it seems there's a U shaped relationship between sleep and stroke risk, with higher risk for sleep durations on either side of the six to eight hour band.
The US based National Sleep Foundation has published revised guidelines on how much sleep people need.
For those aged 18-65 yrs seven to nine hrs of sleep is recommended. For those aged 65+ , it seems between seven to eight hrs is adequate.

Hi Angel,

Keep those study results in context; a study published tomorrow may have a differeent result. Besides which, you have a daughter with special needs, so her sleep requirements may be unique and not necessarily the same from day to day. Maybe try a Google on sleep needs for children in her situaton.
I'm still real sick, just checking in for a moment. I am looking forward to our future converstations when I have responded to your questions, and give you more of them than answers!

It's very important you look after yourself Zoe, it's a tough road in different ways for all who do post on this forum.

Hi Angel,

I contend with pain-do not use any pain killers-that disrupts my ability to sit for longer periods and stay focused on what I want to do. So, I just have to do what I am able and catch up with my more in depth email stuff as I can.

Today I stocked up on groceries and don't have to go anywhere this weekend. I'm hoping to get caught up on some long neglected letter writing, but no promises. Go ahead and post more about how your daughter is doing, your thoughts obsevations, and so on. It will add to the conversations here.

Angel,
i forgot to say thanks for the well wishes and your patience. It is very frustrating to be unable to do normal things for sometimes long periods. I appreciate the concern, it cheers me up!
:loco:

Its ok Zoe.

Just remember I think a lot of us has had to learn the art of patience whether we like it not.

What we lack in patience we have to make up with persistence!

Back
Top Bottom