21 Years Ago

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I got pregnant 21 years ago. Beautiful pregnancy. Natural delivery. A gorgeous little boy with a head full of dark hair. The next morning, doctors told me something was wrong with my son. He was blue and pretty much unresponsive and couldn't breathe adequately unless held upright. Turns out he had hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Long story short. He lived three days. Needless to say, I was devastated. Took me two years to stop crying every single day and begin gathering myself out of a depression. Hardest thing a mother will ever go through is burying her child.

The doctors never admitted it and said it was just one of those things that happens but after my own internet research many years later, I suspect that my taking Dilantin was the cause.

Oh, my,

Mockinbird, I'm so sorry to hear that. There are no words to convey my belated condolences.........

I didn't post for sorrow. Just want y'all to get to know me. I have a lot more that will come out sooner or later.

I was actually thinking when I posted that maybe some young woman with epilepsy who is planning to have children one day might read this and understand the importance of "planned parenthood" when taking anti-epileptic drugs. Very important!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry mockinbird, that's a tough memory.

I think that these days Dilantin is not recommended for people with seizure disorders who plan on getting pregnant. And you're right, careful planning (with an OB-GYN and neurologist working together) is ideal.

Oof. That's the kind of pain that just doesn't go away. I wish I could offer a hug (I'm not good at many things, but I'm probably one of the best huggers ever.)

They are serious drugs these AED's. Certainly something that could easily be overlooked by any one of us. Thank you for sharing. Wishing you all the best.

Mockinbird,

I am so deeply sorry. You should have never have had to go through that.

Thank you so much for sharing that with us. There are lots of potential mothers in here, and now I think they will take their choice of AEDs even more seriously.

Back
Top Bottom