24 hr eeg for simple partials?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pattimay

New
Reaction score
I saw a new neurologist today. This doctor actually did a thorough exam unlike the 1st I saw. He said I have essential tremor in head, hands and legs. He said from my description of my "day episodes and night episodes" it sounds like simple partial seizures. I will get a eeg, mri and 24 hr home eeg. I'm just wondering if a 24 hr home eeg is likely to show up simple partial seizures. He said 70% will show up this type of seizure but from researching the web the information says it's not likely to show up if it's just simple partial seizures. I've read so many times that seizures do not always show on Mri or eeg's even if you had a seizure when hooked up. I just want to be sure for peace of mind that it definetly is or isn't seizures I've been experiencing.

Hi Pattimay,

Welcome. I have simple and complex partials and they've shone up on eeg and 24 eeg. I thought I was only having simples but after being warned about what to look for next we realized I has having both. Mine start as a really intense Deja Vu then tunnel vision followed by a few seconds of memory loss. During that time I'm told I walk and talk and sometimes drool as well as repeatedly rub my hands or fingers. I also feel an intense heat radiating through my body. Afterwards I'm confused and am left with a terrible headache. Tell us your symptoms and we'll compare. We're all different but yet very much the same. This is a great source of information. God bless, take care and keep in touch.:e::e::e:

Thank you for writing. I'm just so worried that after all the tests that even if I have seizure or aura nothing will show up. I have night episodes where I feel a funny stomach sensation and leap out of bed. During the day I have a feeling come over me starting in my stomach, like a tightness. My heart will start beating more rapidly and I get very spacy and clumsy. My speach is also off and all I want to do out of embarrassment is go in a room and sit and stare for awhile till it's over. I've had panic attacks over the years like when my son was late coming home as a new driver and I would hear sirens. But they were totally different from these staring, clumsy, spacy episodes. I always chalked it off to anxiety but xanax never did anything for this feeling. I just don't want to be misdiagnosed either way. I have read so many posts on message boards that diagnosing seizures is not clear cut, especially in simple partials where you don't lose consciousness. Thank you so much for writing and will write again after all the testing is done.

Welcome, this is a great place to come and talk with others. I have both simple and complex partials and mine did show up on EEG. I know there are people that their seizures don't show up. Maybe that's why your doc is doing the 24 hour EEG. I know it is a lot of comfort to have a good doc

I have

a suggestion. When you go get hooked up for the EEG, take a look at the monitor and watch the lines. Then when they are all hooked up, or most of them, start to purposely move an arm, or leg or something, and look to see where there is movement in the lines.

I've done this before because I didn't believe the neuros either, especially after some things that have been going on as of late. But you can really tell when something specific is going on. And so the neuros will be able to also.

It will be all right. You have us to vent to if you need to. I know this is all confusing. I still find it confusing at times, and I've had E for 44 years now. So don't worry, it's all good..........just feel free to ask questions whenever you want, cuz the ONLY STUPID question around here is the UNASKED question, OK?

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

Back
Top Bottom