A good place to get clothes

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if your weight goes up and down like mine does but it get's expensive trying to keep up with your wardrobe. For a girl you can go out and spend $30 for just one outfit, and that's fairly cheep!

One day my husband and I drove past the Salvation Army/Thrift store and I told him to go in there. I ended up walking out with some really nice stuff. About 6 different outfits and spent about $40. Some of the clothes even still had the tags on them.

The nice thing about going there is when the clothes don't fit any more, get to big or to small, you just donate them back and get some new ones.

I have shopped at them for ages, I have the luck of wearing a common size.

I haven't been in SA in forever, but my weight yoyos as well. You should see me cram everything into my size 10 jeans. I have to remember to suck my tummy in well or it looks even more terrible.

Right now I'm resisting buying anything new. I broke down and bought a few tops from the Target clearance rack last week.

I lost 65 lbs a few yrs back and gained back 15 since last December. :(

I bought 3 pairs of jeans last week for the first time in years because i have got tired of ruining them during seizures
I hate spending that much money.

but they do look good on me.....

Last edited:
Going to Goodwill for me is an adventure.
You'll never know what you'll find there.
I get a lot of clothing from there, and quite a few very good books as well.
Also, occasionally they'll have something that makes an awesome joke gift for someone. :)

We have Value Village here. I also have found brand new items with tags still attached for next to nothing. Last year I bought an entire set of cookbooks from the 50s, was feeling nostalgic, but have yet to make any new recipes. ;)

I'm not sure if you have Vinnies (St Vincent de Paul) over in America but they are a charity organisation who helps the needy (similar to Salvation Army). I volunteer at Vinnies in my area at their opshop mainly doing the admin work.

My weight goes up & down aswell. I hate clothes shopping & try to avoid it if I can but in the last 2 years I've gone up a size so had got some more clothes last year. I won't spend a lot of money on clothes so usually try to get them if they're marked down or look at the opshop. I recently got some ongoing work at a chiropractor & had to get some more work pants & blouses. I went to the opshop I volunteer at on my break last week & grabbed 3 pairs of trousers for $4 each :). I couldn't find any blouses at the opshop so am going to have a look at Big W, Kmart or Target to see if I can get some reasonably priced blouses.

Last edited:
I love shopping at value village. Im the type of person who likes to modify my clothes. make rips or tears, add things, remove things etc. plus my weight fluxuates as well. Im also not big on alot of current style and I find alot of things in my style at the Value Village or this cool second hand punk shop called Rag Pickers.

Uts better than spending $30 on a shirt just so I can slice it up and resew it.

Since i've put on a lot of weight in the last year, most of my clothes no longer fit me. I had to go out and buy a couple pairs of trousers and stuff just so i'd have something to wear.

Shame, i lost an awful lot of weight before i put this lot on, and i can't bring myself to throw out my old clothes and dresses.

I know i desperately need new stuff but i refuse to get anymore til i lose a bit of weight.

Me three. My weight has fluctuated quite a bit on the meds. I've given away some of the clothes I no longer fit into, but I'm saving some for my "aspirational" self -- the one who will be healthier and a few sizes smaller.

There thi store called savers. I got a pair of shoes that I wore practically every day for a year for $8. A pair of jeans for like $4 and shirts for like $3. I believe they also have a charity foundation, and you can donate old clothes back too. They also had an epilepsy foundation support thing going on last March. Which is kinda the only reason I decided to go there. Now that/this is irony.

Me four! In 2009 I'd lost approx 80 lbs & felt good about myself. My nuero put me on Depakote in Oct of that year, now I've gained everything plus more back. Very uncomfortable now. I too hate clothes shopping & have got some things at GoodWill or the Salvation Army.

Me five... I have gained 30 pounds since last summer due to some other family medical issues ... When I was younger stress made me not eat, but now older (59) I have found myself eating all day.

I guess some of you know I have gender dysphoria, so I need to buy male and female clothing and my weight has increased by 4 stones so it's the charity shops for me. MY best friend is a lady friend and we are more or less the same size so we fight over clothes in the charity shops. All good fun!
:)

Back
Top Bottom