A Lifetime of Memories Erased by a Seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
This happened to my daughter too, but thankfully it only lasted two months.
Very scary though.
We were told it was a psychological reaction, but I have never been comfortable with that diagnosis.

ABC News said:
When Beki Propst talks about the first 47 years of her life, it's as if she is describing the story of a stranger.

... Details of the rare case continue to baffle doctors. What they do know is that a seizure -- what many neurological experts describe as a severe electrical storm within the brain -- caused Propst's declarative memory to be wiped clean. Facts, events, dates, acquaintances and even her identity were wiped away with it. As Propst describes it, "If I was a computer, it would be like my hard drive was erased."

What remained was her implicit memory -- qualities such as intelligence and work ethic -- as well as her vocabulary and her familiarity with a few dozen songs.

From this, she has rebuilt her life. Her persistence in rejoining the work force has led to stable employment as a custodian at a state facility. She enjoys strong relationships with her family. And she has written a book, titled Absent Memories: Moving Forward When You Can't Look Back, which documents her experiences. ...

A Lifetime of Memories Erased by Seizure

I do understand

how she feels.

I have gone through something similar. Although my memory loss is not quite as dramatic as hers, it is severe. I am able to bring back small bits and pieces ony by looking at picture albums, and asking LOTS of questions....

It's terrible and sad. Stacy also completely lost her memory for a period of several months following her first status episode. It was rough back then - especially not knowing if the memory/cognitive functions would ever return to normal. But if you met her today and didn't know her story, you would never guess that she ever had a problem like that. Like that guy in Monty Python's Holy Grail movie that got turned into a newt, she got better. :)

It just doesn't help when a doctor that you trust will throw out a comment that 99% of the time it is psychological. So does that mean that they all fall into the 1% catagory, or are the statistics off?

I wrote to this gal last night and shared our NFB story, I will let you know if she contacts me.

FYI - It looks like Ms. Propst has a a bit invested in her current status (with a book and promotion efforts to sell it). I would not be surprised if she is reluctant to pursue avenues that might restore her cognitive functioning to normal.

I have dealt with this!

IT seems everyday I have memory loss and if didn't have somebody with me I would definitly get lost and cofused! Because of my brain abnormalities my memmory is completely damged so I keep a small recorder with me and a notepad so I can remeber things. Because one time I almost burned down my apartment! and other things bad have happenned too!
David

Bernard - you really think she would take the book funds over the memories? I thought I was cynical.

David - it must be so aggravating to miss pieces of your life. I remember asking Rebecca questions during this time, and she would just look at me. It then clicked in that she had no clue as to what I was talking about. There were some that said she was faking it. They said that if this was her way of getting attention, it was a pretty stupid attempt. At times I had that in my head and tried to trip her up to show that it was a game, and not once in two months did this happen. I know for a fact, without a doubt that this was a true glitch in her brain, caused by a seizure not seen by anyone.

It sounds like this woman in the news, feels that her memory loss is due to seizures over time.

I just ordered the book so I will see what the story is. After living with total regressive amnesia, I find it fascinating.

Bernard - you really think she would take the book funds over the memories? I thought I was cynical.

I have my moments... :paperbag:

I didn't mean to say that she would make a considered choice between the two, just that she may be emotionally (more so than financially) vested in the course she has charted and it could color her open mindedness with regards to new options/alternatives.

Of course, I could be all wrong and in need of a flogging with a wet noodle. :noevil:

It is well-known that people with epilepsy commonly report difficulties with memory. What is not always accepted by doctors is that epilepsy could be the cause of the memory problems. “The prevalence of the memory impairment that goes along with epilepsy is under-recognised and under-appreciated,” says John Duncan, professor of neurology at University College, London, and medical director of the National Society for Epilepsy. “People often make light of it. I don't think there's any conspiracy; it's just what people have been taught. There can be many factors and it can be difficult to tease out the contribution of the different parts.”

Duncan believes that long-term memory loss can be caused by epilepsy, particularly if the seizures involve the temporal lobe (the part of the brain where memories are laid down). He describes a seizure as an abnormal firing of nerve cells. “It's like an excessive electrical discharge that burns out some of the wiring. Each seizure may knock out one nerve cell in 1,000, which wouldn't be obvious, but if someone over the course of years has hundreds of seizures, there would be a cumulative effect.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4635471.ece?Submitted=true

My scholastic straight A sister told me a long time ago that a seizure does damage. Now I believe me (Ms. Right!). I write everything down. Ironically, I remember some of those childhood events that really left a lasting impression.

But, my mom tends to live in the past. So, maybe she helped me in that way by repeating my past events over and over and over....

Memory Loss is scary!

My mom and discuss alot about me as a child when my seizures started. And after having such bad seizures then! I don't have much memory of first grade and before that so my parents had me held back a year because of of bad seizures for 1yr. It has caused permanent and short term memory loss of everything. So somebody has to help me at home or I could forget what I was doing!
David

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom