A little excited I guess

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

C0urt

Veteran
Reaction score
So I applied for a job last fall as a sandwich delivery rider on my bicycle last fall. While riding home got hit by a car and had a seizure. Such is life.

Was working on the GM's bicycle at the bicycle co-op today. So he offered me two days a week to replace someone who got a job elsewhere.

I am going in tomorrow to finish the paperwork. And see how it feels. Hopefully everything works out and I can ride comfortably. It is hot and humid as hell here at the moment.

(I am currently one of the faster of people in town, I just have endurance issues thanks to my epilepsy) YAY!

Only taking two days a weeks.

Congrats Court,
Hope the new job goes well :)

the endurance issues caught up with me.

the perks of being fast. I have not been able to feed myself properly I guess.

basically it has 5-7 hours of hard riding on my bicycle, and since I take everything seriously. I am one of the faster people there. but I forced myself into a seizure on store property twice. Once with a power bar in my mouth.

the second time i got home broke into tears because I was tired, and passed out for a few hours, still not rested up a day later.

they are going to talk to the owner about my issues, so i dont know if it will cost me my job or not yet.

Last edited:
Oh my poor court. Endurance is something we need, but you can't do it all the time. Persistance will. And it does not take up so much energy. I admire you. You will never be a qitter. And I think these people will see that.You are smart,you are good with people and you are persistant.And that can take a lot of pressure off write there.And don't forget to throw some of that confidence in that I know you have. This just a step.A learning step. You have something to give them, and they have something to give you. I just know you can do it. Love, Teresa

the owner is making me get a doctor's clearance.

I have a appointment in 2 weeks to see my neuro to see what he says. Plus i am going to try to see if I can get on new meds.

so now we get to see if my neuro will give me a note to ride my bike in traffic. odds are low. but hey, one can hope.

Well I hope everything is in the clear for you to ride again. I hate the endurance issues as well. I stopped smoking months ago and I still find myself getting winded way to fast. Faster every since I started taking meds. COurt, you sound like a trooper though, you refuse to give up and I admire that.

Good luck with your job. I admire your work ethic (and your fitness!!!) but maybe you can slow down a little in order to improve your chances of keeping your job and yourself safe and healthy. Have you thought about getting an electric motor put on your bike so you can flick it on when you need a break? Say, up a hill? lol. I'm a cyclist too so I have an idea of the safety issues. Stay away from those cars! x

I hope you get to keep your job C0urt, but that you take care of your health too and don't overdo.

well, another manager is saying it wasnt my fault as such. And they really shouldnt have sent me up that hill. They should have sent a car up there.
especially on a single speed. I was pushing myself to hard.

I still have to get a docs clearance.
but such is life.

That's good that they are acknowledging your limitations. Pushing yourself too hard is never good for anything. There is a fine line between doing your best and competing with yourself.

:agree:
Everyone's right COurt, you really are a trooper. No matter what happens you always seem to stay in the positive, not something majority of people can do. I admire your attitude when the going gets rough, really wish I could do the same. Good luck at your job!!

Let's hear it for reasonable managers! I'm glad he recognized his own error in sending you up that hill. And I'm not surprised at all that you are the fastest bike rider in the company.

I hope your neurologist will support you in working. Some doctors think in legal terms and do CYA. Or are concerned for your safety and just want to protect you. Either way, they might be resistant.

Some doctors want to support you in healthy choices and in living a productive life and in you moving your life forward. In that case, lots of support for your choice.

I'm curious which type of doctor you have.

Best of luck, Court. I'll be wishing hard for you.

Back
Top Bottom