a seizure four years apart~help!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colleen

New
Reaction score
My husband had his first seizure in the 70's and had another 10 years later, then 7 years, then 4 years ~ the Drs we have been to don't know why~has anyone else had this happen and what did you find out? I have been learning a lot from this site~thanks so much! We live close to Portland, OR and are looking for a new Dr, has anyone been to the Providence Epilepsy Center?

Hi Colleen: Welcome to the board, I live in Portland,but never went to any of the epilpesy clinics. Instead I kept up with the meds I was on when I moved to Portland, till they were no good and than went to see a homeopathy DR. I am now off my meds .

Wishing you the best of luck.
Riva

Hi Colleen, welcome to the forum. :hello:

When seizure patterns accelerate in frequency or severity, it is usually called kindling.

Has your DH had an EEG done yet to look for epileptiform brain activity?

Thanks for your reply~my husband has had all the tests, the EEG showed a slight abnormal wave but Dr didn't think it was epileptic. They had him tested to try to cause a seizure but nothing. His two sisters are plagued with auto immune diseases of different types, I am thinking it is bad genes! What kind of Dr treats patients for auto immune systems? I am very interested in the changing of diet, is there a test for gluten intolerance or do you just try it? I have made an appt at the Providence Epileptic Center in Portland, OR, the soonest they could get me in was in Jan. 2008~Thanks, sorry if I am talking your ear off!

:hello: Colleen

Welcome to the Forum!

If his sisters are having to deal with auto immune
diseases, then the chances are; he most likely has it
and they do trigger seizures, and it is a genetic
/ inherited trait from what I am observing from your
post.

Have the Neurologist have him to be checked out
thoroughly, not just with EEG, but also with MRI
with and without contrast if possible; to make sure
there is no neurodegenerative process or tumors
which are common with such traits if my memory
served me correctly, as it's been years since I
had this in school.

The MRI W/OW is a simple process and can tell
a lot on behalf of your husband and you can also
request a "Patient Copy" when you go in to have
one performed.

I think I can find you a more specific direct link
right on the dot ~ but I've had a long day today.
I will get it for you and post it here; it comes
from the US Government Website (I think) and it
is very detailed and they do have Support Groups,
Resources, Information, etc. It's very detailed.

I slightly recollect there's a risk factor of
this: Diabetics and Cancer which is the highest
risk factor of it all of the AID/DS.

But don't take my post right now seriously until
I find that link and post the correct information
and link ~ my memory is absolutely SOUTHERN
FRIED at the moment.

Sorry!

Thanks, we have an appt at the Providence Epilepsy Center in Portland for Jan 3rd we will see what they can do! Colleen

Thanks, we have an appt at the Providence Epilepsy Center in Portland for Jan 3rd we will see what they can do! Colleen

Hi Colleen,

I'm happy to hear your going to Providence Epilepsy Center
I don't live in portland so dont know of any doctors there...

our electricity went out last night i was unable to answer your question last night... sounds like your doing the right thing tho..:hi5: keep your chin up!

((((((((((((hugs))))))))))

Love angel

colleen,

my urologist had me taking Acidophilus for my immune systen because I've pretty much been on antibiotics my whole life.... you might ask a doctor about your husband taking Acidophilus to help his immune system...

Love angel

Well if you have an appointment
with them there - then never mind
with me finding the link ...
They'll take care of everything!

But why JANUARY 3rd?

That was as soon as they could get us in~they must be busy! I read at www.healthy.net, "What Drs won't tell you" that some seizutes may have nothing to do with the brain, it could be allergy or coeliac disease. Would hate to go to epilepsy clinic and all they want to do is put John on drugs for the rest of his life! Thanks for being there! Colleen

I want an auto immune link Sharon! and a bit more info...
basic info please, as this brain can't unjumble the big stuff)

hmmmm... I know what it is, but not how it can cause seizures.

Another connection that I read somewhere, and maybe you have the answer...
How seizures are more prevalent in those with Cafe au'lait birthmarks.

Robin:

This is an example of an
Autoimmunity Disease / Disorder

Infectious Mononucleosis

Which can trigger the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)

Epstein-Barr

And there you have Epilepsy / Seizure Disorder.

But this is not an exhaustive list, just an
example as Autoimmunity Disease / Disorder
AID/D is very broad spanned.

I only posted this to give you an example of
a breakdown pattern of a genome factor,
genetic / DNA / inherited trait.

Hope this helps.

NOTE: I am not a Medical Doctor or a Scientist.

Last edited:
Robin~could you explain what a Cafe au'lait birthmark is or what it looks like? Thanks, Colleen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom