Abnormal EEG

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Arrowfree

New
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm glad I found you and I hope that your experiences can help me sort things out. In February I was working out at the gym and I experienced an event which was labeled "transglobal Amnesia". It landed me in the hospital and started a whole battery of tests....MRI, EEG etc. A repeat (longer) EEG showed brain abnormalities....slow waves and many spikes in the left part of my brain. I saw a neurologist who suggested that I start taking Keppra and then see her again in a month. I really have no symptoms other than what I assumed were normal age related memory lapses....stupidly I did internet research on Keppra and it's generic form (which is what my insurance company will pay for)....the side effects scared me to death! Sooooo....what is my next step? Do I try the drug? Do I see a different doctor for another opinion? I' m really confused and upset.
Thank you forvany input you can give me,
Arrowfree

I'm taking the generic Keppra and have had no side effects other than feeling tired. Everyone is different so the only thing you can do is try it and see how you get on with it

Welcome Arrowfree!

I completely understand your concern. To second what Sonia said, the only side effect I personally notice with generic Keppra is feeling tired. You are right, some people have negative effects from the medicine, and typically, those are the people who give a review on it. For me, the drug has been a lifesaver. It controls my seizures and gives me better control over my emotions. At one time, I'd blow up at the smallest thing, now I feel like my response to things are proportionate to the situation. I wish you the best!

Hi Arrowfree --

If this is the first unusual "episode" that you've experienced, a conservative approach would be to hold off medicating and see if it's merely a fluke (despite the positive EEG results). However, some kinds of seizure symptoms -- particularly partial seizures -- can be fairly subtle, so it's possible that you may have had other episodes in the past. In that scenario, it's worth considering trying the medication and keeping track of how you feel. Read more about partial seizure symptoms here:
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/focal-onset-aware-seizures-aka-simple-partial-seizures
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types...areness-seizures-aka-complex-partial-seizures

As Sonia notes, AED meds affect everyone differently. Keppra has a reputation for having mood-related side effects, so if you already suffer from any mood issues, it might not be the best med for you. On the plus side, it has the advantage of getting up to a loading dose fairly quickly. It's one of many anti-seizure meds, so if you try it and it is problematic in any way, there are other meds to consider.

Whether or not you choose to medicate at this time, you might consider some of the proactive tips found here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

I am one of those who cannot take the generic seizure medications because I have refractory E. For some, the generic meds do affect the outcome of seizure protection because of the binding agents. I am taking a high dose of Keppra and also take an anti-depressant. But I have TLE, and mood disorders do go hand in hand with it.

If two different AEDs have the same generic name, are they exactly the same?

Although AEDs with the same generic name have the same active ingredient, this does not mean that they are exactly the same. This is because drugs contain other ingredients, such as colouring and binding agents (ingredients that hold the tablet together), which can be different from one version to another. In some cases, these other ingredients might affect how the drug is absorbed in the body, which could affect how well the active ingredient works in the brain to stop seizures.

How different are generic drugs with the same name?

When a new generic version of a drug is developed, it has to be shown to be ‘bioequivalent’ (have a similar effect) – within a certain range – to the original ‘on patent’ brand. This means they have to be ‘similar enough’ to the original in how they work in the body and the amount of active ingredient that gets to the brain. However, a generic version only has to compare in this way to the brand version, not to other generic versions. So, two generic versions might have greater differences between them in the way they work, than the differences between a generic and a brand version.

Hi Arrowfree,

Everyone has given you good advice. I've had seizures for 45 yrs. and tried over 10 different meds but nothing stopped the seizures. I finally saw an Epileptologist which is a Dr. that specializes in epilepsy and I got a lot farther than all the other neuros I've seen over the yrs. I did try keppra but the drug increased my seizures so my Dr. did a DNA test on me and found out I was drug resistant to all the seizure meds that are out on the market now. To my surprise I was put on medical marijuana (CBD) and it has done wonders reducing my seizures. Just like you I live in NY and I buy it on line and it's sent to me by mail. I hope the keppra works for you but if it doesn't ask your Dr. to do a DNA test on you and they will be able to find what seizure med will work the best for you or if you are drug resistant like me. Wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. I'm grateful and I feel,less alone....

Back
Top Bottom