Acid Reflux: FINALLY, getting better, voice almost normal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Glad to say that my Voice is getting better. It's almost normal now. Still wake with hoarseness but it gets better and at work today, I didn't lose my voice completely, so that's a very good sign. I had three days off so I was able to rest it & now it's better. Still have to take care of it cause if the acid reflux gets out of control again, will go back to hoarseness but for now, I feel normal again for the most part.

My dad has acid reflux and heart burn. But he smokes, drinks and doesn't eat healthy. He is taking Nexium (that thing is expensive :O ) .He loves Nexium because it helps him so much. However, once you start taking it, you can't live without it because you will have severe heart burn if you miss one dose. At least that's what my dad told me. Also, his doc told him to lie down on his left if he takes a nap, and use like 2 pillows.

I don't smoke or drink but I don't eat exactly healthy. What is causing mine mainly is drinking soda, love Pepsi but I'm planning to give it up, hopefully and drink other stuff better for me like milk.

The acid reflux has apparently started doing damage to my esophagus cause I've been hoarse for three weeks and it is just now clearing up. However if I don't stop drinking soda, it can come back. Certain foods give me heartburn too but the pop is probably the main thing. I do take Omeprazole and have for around 4 years & thought oh this is the solution so I can get relief and use that as an excuse to keep drinking soda.

Drinking soda is probably part of why I had Ulcerative Colitis and now no longer have a colon. I have always slept with two pillows and always sleep on my side, my left in fact but I think that's cause I'm left handed. lol

Yea you should definitely stop drinking Pepsi. The soda can destroy your teeth also.
You had surgery to remove your colon?

My dad couldn't eat beef, eggs or any other proteins until he was taking Nexium. He used to burp a lot too, I found that annoying and thought he did that on purpose to annoy me lol. That stopped too after taking Nexium.

Yeah, will be 3 years next month October 14th that I had the surgery to remove my colon. Had Ulcerative Colitis for 5 years & I was taking meds for it and it was under control but got to the point I couldn't afford the meds and didn't have insurance at the time so I stopped taking them. Then three years ago this month, I started getting really sick with diarrhea & that lead to dehydration, kidney failure and weakness and went to the hospital and ended up being transported to a different hospital where I was in intensive care for 2 weeks & hospital for a total of 3 weeks.

I'd had the diarrhea before but it always went away and was in remission for 2 years until 3 years ago & this time it wasn't going away. I almost died. By the time I got to the hospital, I was in total kidney failure, dehydrated and so weak I couldn't walk anymore. I had the surgery October 14, 2009. My entire colon was too enflamed to save and had a tear in it & ruptured during surgery.

Even if my colon could have been saved, they still would have had to do the surgery to fix the tear but it was too far gone. I was scared it was colon cancer but luckily that wasn't the case. After getting out of the hospital for that, I was in rehab for 3 weeks to learn to walk again and get my strength back.

Then December 29th 2010, I had diarrhea again, due to things I ate and yes probably pepsi and had become dehydrated again and woke up one morning and couldn't move, I was paralyzed. The paramedics were called and took me to the hospital and I was once more in kidney failure and dehydration & my potassium level was 9.4, which I should have died from. I was in the hospital for 4 days for that.

I had to have dialysis and then two days out of the hospital for that, January 4th 2011, I had my grand mal seizure. Went to a Neurologist, he ordered a EEG, that was normal, then a MRI & they found the brain bleed, which I was rushed to the hospital and they did emergency brain surgery to remove the blood, was in hospital 2 days for that.

Then December 20, 2011, I got dehydrated AGAIN & started to go into kidney failure but got to the hospital before my kidneys totally failed luckily.

:( aww ... are your kidneys fine now?

so everything started with the Ulcerative Colitis. Was the bleeding directly related to your potassium levels?

They don't know, they don't know where the bleeding started, what caused it and if it was the cause of the seizure & don't know if it's related to the potassium levels. Neurosurgeon said high potassium can certainly cause seizures but so can kidney failure and the brain bleed and I might have had one anyway even without all that. I may never know. By the time they discovered the bleed, it had stopped luckily but they don't know where it came from or why it happened or why I had the seizure, doctors think it's from previous head trauma.

The blood in my brain had actually started to coagulate, which could have killed me & wasn't discovered for 2 months. And Neurologist thinks it's possible I have scarring on my brain cause of the bleeding.

And yes my kidneys are fine thanks. No permanent damage but really gotta watch that I don't get dehydrated. Since I don't have a colon anymore, I double my chances of dehydration & can be dehydrated within 2 days. Before my first surgery, should have been in hospital long before cause I was in bed for two and a half weeks, only getting up to go to the bathroom and try to eat but was unable to after awhile, eat that is or drink, made me sick. Got so bad, I nearly passed out to walk the 6 feet to the bathroom.

So do you have to drink double the amount to get the water you need???

That's horrible that you had to go through all these.

I just drink the usual, just when I get sick is when get dehydrated, especially if it's from diarrhea. Thank you, just glad to be alive.

Back
Top Bottom