Acupuncture and Neurofeedback for Seizures and Autism

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My wife has tried EEG neurofeedback a few times now. The first time she tried it, they used an SMR entraintment protocol. It took about 5-6 months before we saw results, but when they kicked in, she enjoyed the next 4 years seizure free and med free. She sipped from the Holy Grail.

Unfortunately, her hormone system went Helter Skelter after delivering our first child and she started having a lot of seizure activity again. Things got progressively worse for her with successive pregnancies.

We tried LENS neurofeedback and briefly, QEEG guided neurofeedback at various points, but it was hard to determine if she realized any therapeutic results from them. There was a lot going on at the time.

I would love to give EEG neurofeedback another try now that she is somewhat stabilized with her seizure control (on meds). It's just not feasible for us right now.

She never tried acupuncture, but she did experiment with acupressure years ago. I don't think it offered her any therapeutic benefit with respect to seizure control.

YMMV.

I am using acupuncture at the moment have third lot tomorrow also Chinese Meds and these sound waves all I can say if anything slightly better.Then I tried hypnotic regression last week the whole coboodle in one week very odd effects husband said saw me have some physical expression arm leg spasm I was aware total panic but unable come out of hypnotic trance until guy said count back from 5then wake up feel great and strangely I have..First time in life had deep meditation.The sound waves sound like cat dying but some how it do have good effect.I can only say try it nothing to lose

My wife has tried EEG neurofeedback a few times now. The first time she tried it, they used an SMR entraintment protocol. It took about 5-6 months before we saw results, but when they kicked in, she enjoyed the next 4 years seizure free and med free. She sipped from the Holy Grail.

Unfortunately, her hormone system went Helter Skelter after delivering our first child and she started having a lot of seizure activity again. Things got progressively worse for her with successive pregnancies.

We tried LENS neurofeedback and briefly, QEEG guided neurofeedback at various points, but it was hard to determine if she realized any therapeutic results from them. There was a lot going on at the time.

I would love to give EEG neurofeedback another try now that she is somewhat stabilized with her seizure control (on meds). It's just not feasible for us right now.

She never tried acupuncture, but she did experiment with acupressure years ago. I don't think it offered her any therapeutic benefit with respect to seizure control.

YMMV.
At some point, I hope she can try neurofeedback again, with the SMR training; that's what seems to be the key to stopping seizures.

In my experience and from my reading, the conditioning of the SMR enables the nervous system to self-correct, to sense when a seizure is coming on and reflexively adapt and prevent it from happening. My thinking and emotional reactions leveled out a lot after the training as well.

If that option is not something she can do now there are other avenues still to explore, thinking diet, yoga, and there are others, too. Depends on what is setting them off. With all the years Stacy's been dealing with them, she must have a lot of insight to what may trigger her seizures.

National Center for Biotechnology Information
by T Egner - ?2006 - ?Cited by 71 - ?Related articles
The treatment of epilepsy through operant conditioning of the sensorimotor rhythm electroencephalogram has a 35-year history. Neurophysiological studies ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16466304

Last edited:
one of british weight lifters used nurofeed back very good results.also young girl in uk have worse sleeping disease name I forgotton she be walking down street just collapse wake up just hit floor sometimes out for days she also use nurofeed back and ballet dancer now

Do you go to acupuncture every week?

Unfortunately my girl would be NOT able to cope with acupuncture, she would not cooperate and would most likely freak out.

That's too bad? What about the leads used for neurofeedback? Does she watch television? Some neurofeedback programs would be set up like her watching television while wearing the leads.

Found good app headspace.com.the NHS are encouraging people to use it.my son told me about it he doctor he use it himself.giving it a go tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom