Acupuncture

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seagull

Veteran
Reaction score
I just not been able to sleep it got me down so thought nothing to lose I try acupuncture now I always thought it rubbish but when had it yesterday I felt so good after most relaxed in months definatly not psychological .he also gave me Chinese herbs 8three times a day as it in Chinese and acupuncturist English not good I not got clue what they are but they work.everyone telling me these herbs do not always go well with epilepsy anyone no about Chinese herbs and e

You haven't proven anything that acupuncture will help with e. Also, if you're deficient on certain vitamins (which can be a side effect of some medications), then the herbs might help. That said though, it's like a placebo (in my opinion). You might think that the herbs are helping, but it could be all in your head.

I'm not really a believer in alternative therapies like this. Sure, some types of diets can help control seizures (for some), or vitamins, or supplements, but for the most part, I would avoid it. Your doctor should have done blood work to rule these things out.

The herbs could be just a bunch of plants that are not dangerous and do nothing because they are essentially large tea-leaves, but there are some herbs that are considered dangerous for anyone to consume (such as fen-phen). That being said, some of the herbs might indeed have medicinal-type ingredients and interact with your seizure medication or any other medications you might be on.

Hi seagull,

If you can get it try getting the medical marijuana that helps me sleep and it reduces my seizures. Check out healthyhempoil.com and get the mouth spray. I squirt it in my mouth at 4 pm and I'm tired I'm sure this will help you. I wish you the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

You haven't proven anything that acupuncture will help with e. Also, if you're deficient on certain vitamins (which can be a side effect of some medications), then the herbs might help. That said though, it's like a placebo (in my opinion). You might think that the herbs are helping, but it could be all in your head.

I'm not really a believer in alternative therapies like this. Sure, some types of diets can help control seizures (for some), or vitamins, or supplements, but for the most part, I would avoid it. Your doctor should have done blood work to rule these things out.
Acupuncture is an accepted medical treatment in western medicine now. I am having it next week as part of physical therapy prescribed by my neurosurgeons. I am hoping therapy will let me avoid having my neck fused at 3 levels. It is covered by my medical insurance.

My neurologist recommends various herbs a supplements such as fish oil, cumin, and numerous others. She was VERY happy to see that I was taking these supplements before I saw her and she even had me increase some of them.

Since my neurosurgeon, from one of the top neurosurgical groups in the US, http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/company_profile.htm and my neurologist recommend these things I will trust them over your opinion. If my medical insurance covers acupuncture it is considered an accepted medical procedure with medical benefits.

Acupuncture is an accepted medical treatment in western medicine now. I am having it next week as part of physical therapy prescribed by my neurosurgeons. I am hoping therapy will let me avoid having my neck fused at 3 levels. It is covered by my medical insurance.

Maybe it works for this sort of neck thing, but for a brain issue, I wouldn't do it now. I once tried acupuncture for my seizure(s) and it didn't do a damn thing for them.
It probably does work great for physical therapy as a way to calm folks.

Since my neurosurgeon, from one of the top neurosurgical groups in the US, http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/company_profile.htm and my neurologist recommend these things I will trust them over your opinion. If my medical insurance covers acupuncture it is considered an accepted medical procedure with medical benefits.

My epileptologist and neurosurgeon have never suggested this sort of thing for epilepsy or seizures. And I am going to one of the best in the country. IMO, it has the placebo effect, like resaebiunne said. So I will trust my doc's input and my own instinct!

I have tried acupuncture a couple times over the years for pain, muscle spasm, headaches and seizures, all it did was empty my wallet.

I just not been able to sleep it got me down so thought nothing to lose I try acupuncture now I always thought it rubbish but when had it yesterday I felt so good after most relaxed in months definatly not psychological .he also gave me Chinese herbs 8three times a day as it in Chinese and acupuncturist English not good I not got clue what they are but they work.everyone telling me these herbs do not always go well with epilepsy anyone no about Chinese herbs and e

Seagull,

There were NO known seizure drugs that worked for me. I had very good results from acupuncture following my second brain surgery. That surgery was for epilepsy and it failed. Does that mean every person who benefits from brain surgery for epilepsy is having a placebo effect? Of course not, I wrote that to make a point.

Traditional Chinese Medicine is not Western Medicine so it should not be expected to "work" judged by the methods used in Western Medicine. Don't you wonder, if much of what passes for western medicine is so effective, why isn't everyone diagnosed with epilepsy getting full control of seizures by taking anticonvulsants?

You've never seen air, but you probably believe in it, believe that you'll die without it. Yet, where's the proof? It's self evident. There are herbs and other treatments that have been helping treat seizures for thousands of years whether you or anyone else believes in that treatment.

Fortunately, you have access to the internet, a very useful tool for finding information on how to manage your seizures. Diet, herbs, yoga, meditation, neurofeedback, surgery, and drugs are some of the approaches shown to help people improve or overcome their seizures. Don't let bias toward one approach or another, prevent you from finding a treatment that works for you.

Below is just one link to an article on the benefits of Acupuncture and Chinese Traditional Medicine.
The Benefits of TCM and Acupuncture for Epilepsy
Sun, 01/18/2015 - 00:00
by PCOM

Studies on acupuncture and Traditonal Chinese Medicine for epilepsy have found the treatment to reduce seizures in individuals. Find out more about the benefits of TCM and acupuncture for epilepsy.
An increasing number of individuals with epilepsy are finding that TCM and acupuncture for epilepsy are helping them to better control their seizures.
http://www.pacificcollege.edu/news/blog/2015/01/18/benefits-tcm-and-acupuncture-epilepsy

This does not mean or suggest that everyone who uses acupuncture for seizures will see improvement. The same is true for drugs and surgery. There are a lot of ways to approach treating seizures, but no one method is effective for everyone.

I had uncontrollable seizures for many years. I've now been seizure free without drugs for eighteen years. Herbs, acupuncture and all the other methods for managing or overcoming seizures are worth looking into.

I don't know if acupuncture would have any effect on E and I doubt my insurance would cover it for E. I am having it for the muscle knots in my back caused from tensing up when I try to protect my neck. I expect to feel worse for the first 24 hours like I always do after therapy. I always say I need therapy to recover from therapy. Did the needles hurt?

You really should find out what kind of herbs you are taking. Some of them can cause more problems than they help. I also don't like to start taking one new thing at a time. It you have a bad reaction or even a good reaction there is not way to know which herb made things worse or helped. But then you don't know about the synergistic effects either. Just be careful with the herbs.

Maybe it works for this sort of neck thing, but for a brain issue, I wouldn't do it now. I once tried acupuncture for my seizure(s) and it didn't do a damn thing for them.
I have real doubts that it can be helpful with any brain issue. I was responding to someone that said acupuncture and herbs or supplements are rubbish.

My neurologist is from Pakistan. I have found that my doctors from India and Pakistan are more open to supplements and herbs but it is always good to get their opinion first. I was already taking the supplements before I knew I had E. Most doctors are skeptical of supplements, with the exception of a few different vitamins. I saw my PCP after I saw the neurologist for the first time and she even asked what the neuro said and when I told her, all she said was "ok" and shrugged her shoulders.

My epileptologist and neurosurgeon have never suggested this sort of thing for epilepsy or seizures. And I am going to one of the best in the country. IMO, it has the placebo effect, like resaebiunne said. So I will trust my doc's input and my own instinct!

I have real doubts that it can be helpful with any brain issue. I was responding to someone that said acupuncture and herbs or supplements are rubbish.

My neurologist is from Pakistan. I have found that my doctors from India and Pakistan are more open to supplements and herbs but it is always good to get their opinion first. I was already taking the supplements before I knew I had E. Most doctors are skeptical of supplements, with the exception of a few different vitamins. I saw my PCP after I saw the neurologist for the first time and she even asked what the neuro said and when I told her, all she said was "ok" and shrugged her shoulders.

I don't know if acupuncture would have any effect on E and I doubt my insurance would cover it for E. I am having it for the muscle knots in my back caused from tensing up when I try to protect my neck. I expect to feel worse for the first 24 hours like I always do after therapy. I always say I need therapy to recover from therapy. Did the needles hurt?

I felt a small prick from the needles but never any pain, during or after treatment. If there was pain, I'd be very concerned about continuing to see my practitoner.

My reaction was an immense sense of relaxation, and my very chronic fatigue began to lift after the treatment.

Seagull,

There were NO known seizure drugs that worked for me. I had very good results from acupuncture following my second brain surgery. That surgery was for epilepsy and it failed. Does that mean every person who benefits from brain surgery for epilepsy is having a placebo effect? Of course not, I wrote that to make a point.

Traditional Chinese Medicine is not Western Medicine so it should not be expected to "work" judged by the methods used in Western Medicine. Don't you wonder, if much of what passes for western medicine is so effective, why isn't everyone diagnosed with epilepsy getting full control of seizures by taking anticonvulsants?

You've never seen air, but you probably believe in it, believe that you'll die without it. Yet, where's the proof? It's self evident. There are herbs and other treatments that have been helping treat seizures for thousands of years whether you or anyone else believes in that treatment.

Fortunately, you have access to the internet, a very useful tool for finding information on how to manage your seizures. Diet, herbs, yoga, meditation, neurofeedback, surgery, and drugs are some of the approaches shown to help people improve or overcome their seizures. Don't let bias toward one approach or another, prevent you from finding a treatment that works for you.

Below is just one link to an article on the benefits of Acupuncture and Chinese Traditional Medicine.
The Benefits of TCM and Acupuncture for Epilepsy
Sun, 01/18/2015 - 00:00
by PCOM

Studies on acupuncture and Traditonal Chinese Medicine for epilepsy have found the treatment to reduce seizures in individuals. Find out more about the benefits of TCM and acupuncture for epilepsy.
An increasing number of individuals with epilepsy are finding that TCM and acupuncture for epilepsy are helping them to better control their seizures.
http://www.pacificcollege.edu/news/blog/2015/01/18/benefits-tcm-and-acupuncture-epilepsy

This does not mean or suggest that everyone who uses acupuncture for seizures will see improvement. The same is true for drugs and surgery. There are a lot of ways to approach treating seizures, but no one method is effective for everyone.

I had uncontrollable seizures for many years. I've now been seizure free without drugs for eighteen years. Herbs, acupuncture and all the other methods for managing or overcoming seizures are worth looking into.
My neuro wants me to try biofeedback. I haven't done that yet.

Some people probably even believe TENS machines don't work for pain.

This is a good example of an herb that is accepted in western medicine as having read benefits
https://www.drugs.com/mtm/belladonna.html

My neuro wants me to try biofeedback. I haven't done that yet.

Some people probably even believe TENS machines don't work for pain.

This is a good example of an herb that is accepted in western medicine as having read benefits
https://www.drugs.com/mtm/belladonna.html

Belladonna is strong stuff with a long history.
Neurofeedback helped me a lot, with seizure control and with getting my nervous system to get into a more normal and relaxed state. I think the trauma from the injury left my nervous system stuck in a high alert state. Over a few months time, my nervous system calmed down a lot.

Do you have time to look into the history of neurofeedback and it's development and use for seizures? A Google search on "Neurofeedback epilepsy" will keep you reading for days. A good place to start is EEG Spectrum, they were pioneers in the field.

EEG Biofeedback Training for Epilepsy - EEG Spectrum
www.eegspectrum.com/applications/epilepsy/epilepsy-intro/
EEG biofeedback has been shown to be helpful for all kinds of epilepsy, including ... EEG biofeedback training may also be used to reduce the medication dose ...
http://www.eegspectrum.com/applications/epilepsy/epilepsy-intro/

If I had the means, I would use it now, just for it's positive effect on my nervous system.

I agree with this sentiment. My epileptologist is very good and has never prescribed acupuncture or supplements. One of my previous neurologists recommend taking vitamin D, but that's about it. My psychiatrist also did injections for B12 (only once, before she left and I saw another doctor). Gut instinct outweighs anything the doctors say. They can be wrong and it is up to you what treatments you get. Doctors aren't magicians and they cannot hold themselves to prescribing supplements where there is little research to base the treatment of off. Many supplements are not FDA approved so you can't even be sure they're safe when taken long term.

At the end of the day, it is up to YOU to accept the treatments your doctors prescribe. No doctor will take better care of you than you can for yourself. It is your responsibility to accept or deny treatment and to take the onus of seeking proper medical treatment. Don't just hold your doc in the bright light as if they are the holy grail.

I think it's pretty obvious that none of us here are doctors, so that goes without saying. But then, you're not a doctor either, so do you trust what your doctor says to you that much? It's not about what doctor you have, it's how they take the time to properly diagnose you and put you on the appropriate medications. Trust is an important part of the doctor/patient relationship. Takes one to know one ;)

Belladonna is strong stuff with a long history.
Neurofeedback helped me a lot, with seizure control and with getting my nervous system to get into a more normal and relaxed state. I think the trauma from the injury left my nervous system stuck in a high alert state. Over a few months time, my nervous system calmed down a lot.

Do you have time to look into the history of neurofeedback and it's development and use for seizures? A Google search on "Neurofeedback epilepsy" will keep you reading for days. A good place to start is EEG Spectrum, they were pioneers in the field.

EEG Biofeedback Training for Epilepsy - EEG Spectrum
www.eegspectrum.com/applications/epilepsy/epilepsy-intro/
EEG biofeedback has been shown to be helpful for all kinds of epilepsy, including ... EEG biofeedback training may also be used to reduce the medication dose ...
http://www.eegspectrum.com/applications/epilepsy/epilepsy-intro/

If I had the means, I would use it now, just for it's positive effect on my nervous system.
Thanks for the links. I will look into it.
do you have any idea if insurance covers it? My problem is lack of time. I go to work, come home and several nights a week care for my grandson. He has severe autism so it's not like I can even look away for one minute. We usually take him to an indoor pool, it is very energy draining.

Oh, and BTW MAB, this isn't even your thread. To take my comments as a personal attack is simply quite rude. Go start your own thread.

Oh, and BTW MAB, this isn't even your thread. To take my comments as a personal attack is simply quite rude. Go start your own thread.
Personal attack? I just disagree with you. That isn't a personal attack.

do you have any idea if insurance covers it? My problem is lack of time. I go to work, come home and several nights a week care for my grandson. He has severe autism so it's not like I can even look away for one minute. We usually take him to an indoor pool, it is very energy draining.[/QUOTE

You will have to check with your insurer to see if they cover it or not. Also, check with whoever you plan to see for treatment. Scheduling might be a problem for you, but when you call to make an appointment, just let them know what times you are able to go. Working and caring for your granson, you might benefit in unexpected ways from the training. While you are looking into it, you may want to try a Google search on "autism neurofeedback." Some study has been done with this. I haven't looked into it. Also, go back and check the threads here on neurofeedback. We had some dicussions on it and I wrote one article about Robin N's daughter's experience with it. Here's a link to a fairly recent article about it.

Brainwave Neurofeedback for Autism: Can It Help? | Psychology Today
https://www.psychologytoday.com/.../brainwave-neur...
Psychology Today
Jun 12, 2013 - Teaching children with autism to control their own brainwaves through neurofeedback may help to improve their symptoms.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...06/brainwave-neurofeedback-autism-can-it-help

do you have any idea if insurance covers it? My problem is lack of time. I go to work, come home and several nights a week care for my grandson. He has severe autism so it's not like I can even look away for one minute. We usually take him to an indoor pool, it is very energy draining.[/QUOTE

Speaking of acupuncture...

Here's a link to an article on how acupuncture may be useful for people with autism. Just Google "acupuncture" "autism". The article in the link below is about a study done in Europe. The entire article is available for download if you want to share it with your grandson's parents and or physician.

A feasibility study of acupuncture for the treatment of children with ...
www.acupuncturecollege.org.uk/.../a-feasibility-study-of-acupuncture-fo...
by J Pledger - ?2014 - ?Related articles
To determine the acceptability of acupuncture treatment to children with autism, their parents and teachers in a residential school setting. To explore a workable ...
http://www.acupuncturecollege.org.u...nt-of-children-with-autism-spectrum-disorder/

You will have to check with your insurer to see if they cover it or not. Also, check with whoever you plan to see for treatment. Scheduling might be a problem for you, but when you call to make an appointment, just let them know what times you are able to go. Working and caring for your granson, you might benefit in unexpected ways from the training. While you are looking into it, you may want to try a Google search on "autism neurofeedback." Some study has been done with this. I haven't looked into it. Also, go back and check the threads here on neurofeedback. We had some dicussions on it and I wrote one article about Robin N's daughter's experience with it. Here's a link to a fairly recent article about it.

Brainwave Neurofeedback for Autism: Can It Help? | Psychology Today
https://www.psychologytoday.com/.../brainwave-neur...
Psychology Today
Jun 12, 2013 - Teaching children with autism to control their own brainwaves through neurofeedback may help to improve their symptoms.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...06/brainwave-neurofeedback-autism-can-it-help

Thanks Zoe, you're so helpful.

Back
Top Bottom