Adjusting meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
I am certain my neurologist will be either upset or unhappy that I adjusted my meds before contacting her (although I tried). But I did adjust my medications slowly, from 300mg down to 0 by a change of 75mg daily. So would you say it's alright to adjust one's meds without consulting your doctor?

Ideally you should keep your doctor in the loop -- that way if you have a really bad seizure while tapering and end up at the hospital, she knows what's going on and why.

I agree with Nak.
If you are unhappy with your meds the best thing is to try to contact the neurologist and discuss it with them 1st. The neuro can safely adjust your meds with less chance of seizures happening.

Hi finalpoet,

I've lowered my meds in the past but I was sure to let my Epileptologist know about it. Sometimes if the dosage of a med was to high for me I would have more seizures or it made
my other seizure meds toxic. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

You should always inform your doctor/change dosages under their supervision. Some medications have to be dropped at a slower rate than others.

Back
Top Bottom