Advice would be very much appreciated

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am sorry for your news, but you have found some very supportive and friendly people here on this forum. As for the colon surgery. My maternal grandmother had to have both her bladder and colon (large and small) removed at the age of 65, and I just want to let you know that she never let her stop that from living her life to its fullest. She loved to dance and was a very social person. She continued to do the things she loved but she was also wise enough to stay with her doctor, take her medications as ordered and keep her appointments. I'm not saying she didn't have any problems over the years, but she did live to the ripe age of 88 and danced, traveled, dated, and did whatever else she wanted. She just had to make a few adjustments in the way she ate and how she managed her personal health, etc. I hope this was an encouragement to you that even though you have just received some devistating news, you can decide to whether to let this news beat you or you beat this news. You take good care of yourself and I look forward to reading many posts from you in the future.

Big Hugs,
Cindy

Thank you so much, Cindy. It was very kind of you to take the time to post this. It does help.

Thanks again.

Patty

I read this today and thought it might be something to research further:

A natural compound extracted from grape seeds makes laboratory leukemia cells commit suicide, according to a new study by the University of Kentucky. When exposed to the extract, 76 percent of the leukemia cells were dead within 24 hours.

The extract forces leukemia cells to commit “apoptosis,” or cell suicide, which is a kind of programmed cell death that cells in the body undergo either in the normal course of growth and development or when something goes wrong with them. Leukemia and other cancers block the cell signaling pathway that allows apoptosis — this is how cancer keeps the defenses of the body at bay. Grape seed extract activates a protein called JNK that regulates the apoptotic pathway and allows damaged cells to commit suicide.

Grape seed extract has already shown beneficial activity in other laboratory cancer cell lines, including breast, skin, lung, and prostate cancers. Before the new study, however, no one had tested the effects of grape seed on hematological cancers, and neither had anyone found the exact mechanism involved.

“What everyone seeks is an agent that has an effect on cancer cells but leaves normal cells alone, and this shows that grape seed extract fits into this category,” said study author Xianglin Shi, Ph.D., who emphasized that research is still in an early stage. Hematological cancers, including leukemia, caused almost 54,000 deaths in 2006, making them the fourth leading cause of cancer death in the United States.

Newsmax Health Alerts

Back
Top Bottom