Advice

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seagull

Veteran
Reaction score
If you were me what would you do.
Been over see me mother who off with fairies sitting next to her was old man he in his 97 alcoholic and he got all his marbles x roadi of Beatles so interesting and he asked me sneak a beer in for him but staff said no booze.i asked one of carers off the record it bit cruel she agreed so my heart says take him bottle of lemonade with spoonful of whisky in my son said big mistake if I do.I feel so sorry for old fella would anyone take him sniffter

seagull

I have to agree with your son on this, my uncle had much the same problems I am sorry to say, he chain smoked and drank I do not think he ate anything.

Yeah, I would say that situation is best left alone. You don't know what meds he might or might not be on. What to you is a caring gesture could be fatal for him.

I'd probably sneak it in..or have a beer in the car for him if he can sneak away for a little bit. One drink doesn't make a person drunk, well unless he's already drunk.

My Aunt was a totally unabashed and unrepentant alcoholic and we kept her supplied in booze even in the rest home in her last years. There is no reason for a person to quit if they really don't want to.
However this was after talking with her doctors about her other meds and making sure there wasn't any problem with interactions. The "old fella" in the OP isn't Seagull's family so she wouldn't have that info.

Yea, maybe. Perhaps he isn't on any meds. That old and still having his marbles..hell maybe all the alcohol preserved hm..:p

My dad was an alcoholic, but a happy one. Never grumpy or aggressive, just laid back. If he were at someone's bedside and needed something to take the edge off than why not?

I did witness him being hospitalized for something unrelated to alcohol abuse and the withdrawals, DTs were horrible. It was so sad. He was the patient- no way was I going to bring hm a drink while detoxing. However, during one of his hospitalizations I did wheel him outside for a cigarette. He never asked for a drink. Since he was the patient I don't know if I would not have brought him anything alcohol. But keep in mind he was getting meds to help with his cravings.

On the flip side, if he was visiting someone and if it was a long stay I'd definitely brng him one drink to take the edge off. Unless he was already drunk.

A placebo drink is the only one.

IE: A new clean empty whiskey bottle, filled with water. His eyes see whiskey,
but no harmful effects.

Back
Top Bottom