[Research] AED stops you from lying?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
I know thats a weird title, but I found something weird yesterday. I watching Harry Potter 4 last night and they had a truth serum used. I googled it to see if it was real and came up with this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_drug

Sedatives or hypnotics that alter higher cognitive function include ethanol, scopolamine, 3-quinuclidinyl benzilate, temazepam, and various barbiturates including sodium thiopental (commonly known as sodium pentathol) and sodium amytal (amobarbital) (see figure at right).[6]

Most of the drugs classified as truth serums are actually used as anti-convulsants as well. Such as the bolded ones. temazepam is used here in canada in small amounts to help people with extreme insomnia or constant sleep seizures. The lady who shared the room with me during my VEEG was on it. Other drugs they consider truth drugs are the ones ending in "Pam" (just click on temazepam and follow the links in the maze and it all brings it back to barbituate causing people to be more...open.

So have any of you experienced lower inhibitions while on a barbiturate?

I know I have become brutely honest since making prescription drugs my bride. What I find dumbfounding is that my honesty is not welcome or accepted. My friends and family are more comfortable sweeping emotions, feelings, and facts under the rug. Which just creates a tripping hazzard!:roflmao:

I'm not on barbituates. I'm just too tired to deal with anything but the truth.

But Sodium Pentathol and related drugs - that sure does make sense.

The use of truth serums *in some cases barbitruates* is also considered a form of torture here and is punishable by severe prison sentence.

I know I have become brutely honest since making prescription drugs my bride. What I find dumbfounding is that my honesty is not welcome or accepted. My friends and family are more comfortable sweeping emotions, feelings, and facts under the rug. Which just creates a tripping hazzard!:roflmao:

I add my own:roflmao: Though I'm afraid I fall into the "sweeping emotions, feelings, and facts under the rug" category:lol: Let's just say that, as much as I love my friends and family, if my meds ever start having that truth serum effect, I'm going to have to start putting duct tape over my mouth.:rolleyes:

I just tell the truth, because since my memory is is jacked up, i cant remember what lies I told. it is just easier to be honest.

When I'm honest about how I'm feeling, most of my family flips out. They think I'm a nut case. My mom told me to stop discussing my seizure disorder with them, or anything related to it. Well, I'm not going to do that. I'm going to keep telling the truth, benzos or no benzos.

I just tell the truth, because since my memory is is jacked up, i cant remember what lies I told. it is just easier to be honest.

This is pretty much how I see it.

I can't remember what day it is, never mind what version of a story I may or may not have told.

Even the truth itself becomes blurred or lost in time, which has actually led to me being accused of lying (or making things up) funnily enough.

I am

on Clonazepam, but I'm a truth-teller anyway, and I could care less if people like it or not. If they can't take me as I am, then they don't truly like me, or love me (family), whichever the case may be. I'm not rude about telling the truth, but I DO tell it.

I have some lorazepam (Ativan) that my doc prescribed just in case I have a seizure far way from any hospital. I haven't had to take any yet, so I have a full bottle. Maybe, as an experiment I'll slip some into a politician's cocktail and see what happens...

kidding/

Just don't ask 'How do I look?'

I do tend to tell the truth, even when my brain's telling me to go the 'safe' way. Even when I don't really wanna say anything, because I know it'll just open another whole can of worms. If you want a nice, smoothed over, fake, polite answer, just don't ask me. Hmm... interesting.

Court, maddie, I hear ya. I'm the same way. If I can't remember what day it is, how am I gonna keep track of a fake story. Good Lord.

Back
Top Bottom