AEDs and dreams

AEDs and dreams

• I noticed a change in my dreamstate when I started taking AEDs.

Votes: 56 69.1%
  • I did not notice any change in my dreamstate when I started taking AEDS.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I don't think AEDs have any affect on a persons' dreamstate.

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Speber, I know what you're going through. I have taken two of the medicines you mentioned and I still take one of them.

I've never been much of a dreamer and haven't noticed any change since I started taking AEDs...Keppra & Lamictal. As for the night seizures: recently I've started having what I think are myoclonic seizures. It happens right as I am falling asleep, in that state between asleep and awake, and my legs will jerk, just once and I wake up. I've never had t/c's in my sleep (thankfully).

I have been on carbamamzepine for approximately 20 years. I have weird dreams. Sometimes they are vivid. I always try to find meaning to my dreams. I figure it is my brains way of communicating with me. I do have sad dreams as well as vivid dreams. I very seldom have good dreams.

I've been taking Tegretol for over thirty five years since it came out in the 1970's.
I've taken a lot of other AEDs none have affected my dreams.
Belinda

Speber you are so wierd! I have awsome dreams. I always have. For about a year after my coma I didn't remember them. Then I went through a time of high stress and had night whatchman dreams, now those are "wicked" when your body doesn't really want you to sleep and it keeps waking you up and stuff. I hope you are never there.And if I am having seizures while I'm sleeping I have wierd kinds of dreams.Now I am on Keppra, topamax , lorazepam and some other stuff that makes me forget.But it makes me sleep heavy.

Hi Robin,

"At least one preliminary study has found that Vitamin B6 may increase dream vividness or the ability to recall dreams.[5] It is thought that this effect may be due to the role this vitamin plays in the conversion of tryptophan to serotonin.[5]"

My Dreams are really vivid. So there my be some truth to this.

My condition is a rare type of Pyridoxine Dependent Epilepsy (PDE). I use a daily megadose of vitamin B6 (mainly), along with all the other B vitamins, to control my seizures. In just over 38 years of having epileptic seizures, I have never used any AEDs to control my seizures. AEDs have no positive effects on my seizures and have made them worse.

Pyridoxine HCl (vitamin B6) saved my life as a young child. It continues to prevent me from entering status epilepticus. I will need to take vitamin B6 for the rest of my life.

DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT.

Andrew

Last edited:
PTSD started the awful dreams, then AED's added to it. Trileptal was the worst. Those dreams were just awful nightmares. My "Keppra Dreams" (as I call them) are just plain bizzare.

Dispatch;-)

The last two nights I have had some weird dreams. But like I said. I have always dreamed that way. Alex has been so sick I dream about scary things. I solve a lot of issues this way.

Using the cpap machine for SA and the AE meds - I have such vivid dreams that it messes w/ memory because I don't know what is a memory of an event or a dream???

I used to have like a pre/post sleep state that I could hold full conversations and even walk, but I'd be asleep and dreaming and would be talking to the people in the dream. That's stopped, but I get up to go at least once a night and am more asleep that awake. Eyes closed. I was blind w/ my cataracts before surgery in 2003, so darkness and eyes closed, I reckon don't affect me - just please - don't move the bathroom!!!:roflmao::roflmao:

(my favorite dreams are vivid "visits" with my brother, who passed away when he was 26 - cancer - I wake up from those dreams so happy, I miss him so bad)

I many times dream about bathrooms too like you said - gotta go go go!!!:roflmao:

They say you dream about your wishes and your mind sequentially covers the prior day's events. That helps one solve problems. I suppose there's no limit to one's imagination if that hemisphere is more active or dominant than the 'logical' side.

I also answer phones and people in my sleep and have NO idea what I said afterward. So, if somebody gave me a phone wake up call, I'd answer it, talk to them and go right back to sleep.

I have to set the most annoying alarms. I play 2 radio stations at once because that irritates me. And I set a wicked little cheap alarm that repeats itself several times. Whatever works!

I never used to have dreams, or at least remember them but recently (in the last year)I've been remembering some pretty bizarre & colourfull dreams. It seems as time goes on I remember them more & more frequently.

I don't take them too seriously but Many mornings I"ll wake up & check out the dream dictionary.

http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

Forgive me if I have said this before:

Prior to Rebecca taking a B complex vitamin, when asked she would say she never remembered her dreams.

Frequently since taking the vitamin for over 1 yr, she has shared many dreams.

Interesting

I dream more about what is going on. Except lol, I dream that I'm naked sometimes at the wrong place. I know, gross. lol . Or sometimes I'm making out with the person I am having issues with. hmmmm my doctor. lol

falling

I hated dreams on AEDs sometimes I'm falling, sometimes I'm in my b-day suit.
It seemed like I could never wake up from them, but I would struggle mightily to wake myself from the horrors that would occupy my dream state.
It is one of the reasons I will not go back to AEDs. The monsters were too horrifying.

Now that I am on Depakote er or xr or something, lol, I talk in my sleep.My son ran in the room yelling "Wake up! Wake up!" The only time I can remember not dreaming was after my coma. Other than that I have always been a vivid dreamer.

I noticed a horrific change in my dreams well i wouldnt call them dreams i would now call them Nightmares.... i have horrific dreams involving my partner and its things that i just dont want my mind to think. I hate it with a passion. x

Before I was diagnoised with nocturnal seizures I had vivd nightmares. Once I went on Tegretol and then Carbatrol the nightmares stopped. I just recently started on Keppra XR and now I am having dreams again but they are not nightmares, just weird dreams. I will wait another week on these meds and see what happens. I much prefer not to have nightmares or dreams of any kind in y sleep because they always disrupt my sleep.

Back
Top Bottom