Aiden's Children's Book on Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KellyD

New
Reaction score
Hi guys! I hope it's ok for me to post this on here, I know there is a rule about posting about fundraising but that isn't quite what this post is about.

Recently when Aiden's day care were celebrating Purple Day we had trouble finding something age appropriate for the kids to learn what they were doing it all for, my husband suggested I write something which I laughed about at the time but a couple of weeks ago I was trying to have a little nap while the kids were sleeping and this idea was just playing on my mind and the story just started to almost write itself in my head. So I gave up on the nap and grabbed the laptop lol. As a graphic design hobbyist and student I already had some cartoon characters drawn that I have been using in my designs so the illustrations were pretty much already done so moral of this long story is I have written a children's book about epilepsy! The story is about a brave lion with epilepsy that has kept his condition a secret and how he shares the secret with his friends and educates them on how to take care of him and to not be scared and they all understand and accept him for who he is. It is currently with the Epilepsy people I fundraise for to be fact checked and once they give it the ok I can sell it and donate some of the money back to them. I'm hoping to bump into our paediatrician tomorrow to see if he would be interested in having a look at it for me as well. I have a printer and copyright is automatic here in Australia. I mentioned it briefly yesterday on a mum's networking page on facebook and had so much interest in the first 5 mins I created a page for it and within hours I had 13 orders, some from as far away as Ireland!! and a couple of people offering to advertise it for me on their pages and websites and telling me they will help me however they can. Social media power!! Not bad for a stay at home mum...

If you guys would like to check it out you can visit the page on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Childrens-Book-on-Epilepsy/110047929083087 I would love to hear any feedback or suggestions you may have for getting this out there. It's already doing more than I ever imagined it would. I thought it would be something I did for us, a couple of friends and maybe some local day care centres. MUMMY POWER!!!!!

Bravo! That's so great! The book looks terrific, and I hope it continues to generate interest. I bet it would do well in hospital bookstores and the offices of pediatric neurologists.

Looks cute! Send me a PM if you are selling it online (not via Facebook, but via some portal that processes online orders) and I'll see what I can do to help.

Thanks guys! Bernard I'm in the process of setting up a website for my design work that will feature paypal as a method of payment, is that what you mean? I will invoice everyone who orders this way.

Yes. Send me a PM when you go live with the site.

You should know about the Kobo Reader.

A friend of mine uses it to download e-books on her iPhone. She found books that only costs her 99 cents each but she says most of them cost more. The prices do vary but I'm not sure how much goes to the author (I think a fair amount from what my friend said but don't quote me).

It looks like a great way to get exposure so that it gives you the chance at publicity (as well on saving on paper, ink & staples since it's all electronic).

Last edited:
I was just told that you won't find the info you want on the download site. My friend (same one that told me about the download site) says to google "Digital Self-Publishing" if you're interested in distributing your book that way.

Thanks, I have had a quick look into ebooks so I will have a look at that too.

I have started a blog about the book which has just gone live. http://thelionssecret.wordpress.com/
In a week or so when my new designs website is live I will have it on there as well and link the 2. Let me know what you think.

I added the RSS feed for your blog to your CWE profile. You should now see a link to your latest blog post under your username in the heading of all your CWE posts.

I have just ordered a sample of my book so I'm now 1 step closer to making this a reality, yay!!

The sample book has arrived! Later today when Aiden gets home from day care I'm going to take a couple of photos and post them on the blog so keep an eye out for it.

Very cool

Great that you made the paper!

Also, I think you both look good in that picture.

Nice! I submitted a short comment in support.

That's so great Kelly! I'm glad you're getting the word out about the book.

The lion has landed and is on it's way all over the world!!! Check out the blog for pics and info, you can find the link next to my picture on this post thanks to the lovely Bernard who added it that way.

Back
Top Bottom