Allergy testing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
The ALCAT Test differs from other food allergy or intolerance tests as it accurately and objectively measures leukocyte cellular reactivity in whole blood, which is a final common pathway of all mechanisms. The test utilizes electronic, state of the art, hematological instrumentation. Standard allergy tests, such as skin testing or RAST are not accurate for delayed type reactions to foods and chemicals. They measure only a single mechanism, such as the effect of mast cell release of histamine or the presence of allergen specific IgE molecules. Delayed reactions to foods and chemicals are NOT IgE mediated.

The ALCAT Test also differs from standard IgG tests in that they rely exclusively on one immune pathway, serum levels of immunoglobulin G (IgG). In fact, high food specific IgG titers are indicative only of exposure, not necessarily intolerance.

The ALCAT Test reproducibly measures the final common pathway of all pathogenic mechanism; whether immune, non-immune, or toxic. It is the only test shown to correlate with clinical symptoms by double blind oral challenges, the gold standard.

I am learning that insurance coverage many times is only for specific types of testing. Ours offers IgA testing, but never offers IgG which has been a standard in the food sensitivity groups.

Seizures have been known to be triggered by sensitivity or intolerances to certain foods. When our immune system is activated by incompatible foods it can cause a whole host of problems: IBS, celiac disease, migraine headaches, weight issues, joint pain, skin and respiratory problems, ADD/Hyperactivity, fatigue and many more.

Almost 70% of the immune system is in the gut.
There is one simple blood test, scientifically proven, which tells you which foods may be a problem for you.

The Alcat Test:
http://www.alcat.com/

Standard allergy tests, such as skin testing or RAST are not accurate for delayed type reactions to foods and chemicals.

Good stuff Robin. We found a long time ago, that keeping a detailed diary/log of what Stacy ate and drank often showed patterns of delayed reactions to foods (caffeine especially). I didn't know there was a test that might offer more conclusive evidence of allergies.

I have been reading about kids with other neuro issues, as well as seizures. These kids were put immediately on a GFCF diet with improvements. However, when the parent does further testing, they find additional foods that the child is sensitive to. Many times they are the foods that were substituted on the GFCF diet.

I know Rebecca reacts to the additives like High Fructose Corn Syrup, MSG, caffeine, but I wonder if she is sensitive to others that are staples in her diet. I might do the basic test here, with or without insurance.

When my son was little he had the scratch testing done. His reactions to EVERYTHING was so severe, and immedate, he was sent to the ER. They could not and refused to do any more allergy testing because he's just so sensitive.

He is allergic to living plants, dust, mold, pollens and almost everything else in between. He cannot eat fresh fruit or vegetables, his throat swells up. A babana can kill him. He may eat a salad once a week but if too often it tears up his guts. But yet, cat and dog dander are not a problem. He can rub his face in the cat and not one itch! (he does this to freak me out because my allergies would kill me if I did that)

My husband was exposed to agent orange in Viet Nam, and a lot of it. His base was the storage facility, the ramifications of this is plays a major roll in his current medical problems but has also manifested in my children. My son especially: ie bith defects, learning disabilities and immune disorders. The VA is just now beguinning to admit to the long term effects.

So far my son has not shown signs of epilepsy, neither my daughter. Because of his allergies to foods, I don't think the diets can help, but I could be mistaken. I've tried to get him to consider them. He took allergy shots twice a week for years. He was never able to get to a full dose of serium. It's been fun....NOT!

Back
Top Bottom