Am I employable?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi There!

I am self employed, and have run my own small business for the last ten years. I tend to have a nocturnal seizure every two weeks or so, although sometimes have several in a week. I have been fortunate in that I've been able to take days off when I've had a seizure. However, I'm now looking to start a new career but have concerns about whether I am employable.

As an employer I think I would have concerns about employing someone who could fall ill once every two to three weeks or so and have to take time off work. I always tell myself how fortunate I am and remind myself that there are many in a worse situation than myself, but the success of my future depends on me finding a good job with an understandable employer. What are my chances?

Thanks for taking a look.

Mark.

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum. :hello:

I don't really know all the intricacies of the USA's American Disabilities Act, much less what the situation is in the UK, but hopefully one of our UK members will follow up. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to CWE - there a nice friendly bunch on here, so you'll get the best friends, and information on this site than any other in the UK, in my opinion (and experience). :rock:

There is one question you need to ask yourself first :

Is the career you'll be looking for viable for somebody with epilepsy ?, ie. you know you can't drive Public Service Vehicles, and cannot operate Heavy Machinery. There may also be other restrictions towards YOUR personal employment which your Doctor will be able to enlighten you with. The two I mentioned is basically what I was told by MY Doc.

If the job you're looking for is OK for you, and your health, then there is NO reason why you shouldn't be employable.

It would be classed as discrimination if an employer were to reject you due to your Epilepsy, but I'm sure there are a few out there who would simply flip you off with the 'we found somebody else better qualified for the position' excuse. :mad: .....in my opinion - I wouldn't want to work for them anyway !

I've put a link below regarding Epilepsy and Employment in the UK, which has nice side link to questions which we all tend to ask ourselves about epilepsy and employment (quite interesting) :

http://www.epilepsynse.org.uk/PAGES/info/leaflets/work.cfm

I hope this let's you understand that you are DEFINITELY employable.

Best of luck mate :tup:

Welcome Mark,
Glad you could join us.
Sorry I don't have anything to offer here, as my daughter has not joined the ranks of the employed yet. She just turned 16.

Back
Top Bottom