Amnesia over 10 years of my life lost

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hey Mike, Linda. It all depends on the person. My Mom who was my best ally and understood all I was going through passed away May 25th after a long battle with cancer. My Dad, who is hard of hearing and asks you to repeat everything and then gets pissed when you raise your voice thinks I'm drunk when I have my memory lapses. I have always used humor to get by and sometimes try and get others to question their own sanity. But all joking aside, just be honest. I mean think about it, if you had blackouts from drinking people would think you were cool, if you had a drug problem, you'd get a second chance. It's just f'd up how people think, that's why I make others question themselves. So when they say you already said that, just keep saying what?, and act like you are on the ball and they are the one's that missed the boat, that gives you the chance to catch up. I know it sounds crazy, but it actually works, call it stall tactics.

My grandma and I were the best at letting each other keep telling the same stories over and over again. I don't know if either one of us realized that we'd done it but we never said a thing about it.

My dad is pretty good at letting me do it. We try to make jokes about it, which works a lot! I also do the "Said what" thing. It does work a good bit.

I completely agree with you about everything in this post. If I were drunk and didn't remember what I did then everyone would be laughing like crazy about it. I do go out to bars with friends. I don't drink at all and they will drink some, not enough to black out, but I'll be the one who doesn't remember the evening half the time. I always say I get a 'contact buzz' off of people and that's why I'm as bad as I am about remembering what went on. Most people even believe me!

Back
Top Bottom