Another new mom here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My son is 12 years old and is on the Autism Spectrum. At 5 years old he had an EEG done and a second one confirmed "spiking" while he was asleep. They told me not to worry about it, because it did not mean he was having seizures. They said to watch him and come back in if we saw anything that made us suspect he was having them. Now that he is 12 I decided to have the test done again. While I do not know of him ever having a seizure, he does have learning issues and a lot of trouble sleeping. He is also what I would call "spacey" at times. It is hard to say what is just typical 12 year old behavior, what is Aspie behavior, and what might be something more. Today I received a call that his EEG came back mildly abnormal.

I have searched the web for something that looked like what I saw on his test, but I have not found anything. What kind of problems can a child with mild results experience? This topic is so huge, that I am lost trying to work through the maze of information out there. Can anyone give me some shortcuts or some information on what we might be dealing with?

Thank you in advance!!

Hi caffeinated_one, welcome to CWE!

There are a bunch of parents here that will no doubt chime in eventually. You might want to check out the forum called "The Nursery".

Your son's EEG may indicate he's having absence seizures or simple partial seizures. These would contribute to his "spaciness" and affect memory and attention. If your son's having trouble sleeping he maybe having nocturnal seizures as well. Don't be afraid to bug your son's doctor to get more info about what the EEG means. That his job after all.

Thank you for your response. Our doctor is sending us to a neurologist. I am sure she will be able to explain it all to me, but I am too impatient to wait! I keep searching, hoping that a site dedicated just to my son will pop up :)

Back
Top Bottom