Another one last night :(

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Last night, around 9:45pm, about 1 hour and 15 minutes after Andrew fell asleep, he had another partial seizure. I was sitting beside him reading a book on the bed keeping an eye on him when all of a sudden, he sat up rather suddenly, and had a "deer in the highlights" look on his face. He then let out a scared or worried type of whine, but then just stared into space. I talked to him, asking him if he was ok, among other things. He didn't respond. A few seconds later he mumbled and tried to slurp his saliva that was coming out the side of his mouth back in. I then noticed that the left side of his face was starting to droop and was paralyzed. So laid him back down on his side, because he was totally out of it. He closed his eyes for a few minutes than sprang up to sitting again, whining and holding his left arm with his right hand. I then noticed that his arm was also now paralyzed. I laid him down again. Talking quietly to him. A few minutes later, he closed his eyes and went back to sleep. Through his normal movements a little while later, moving to get comfortable in bed, I noticed he could now move his left arm again, albeit, it still seemed a little lax/floppy. Whole thing lasted around 2 min. Outside of the irritable whines he let out upon first sitting up both times, and the small incoherent mumble, he was totally silent. He then slept through until morning. I wish I could say the same for myself. After that my adrenaline was pumping and it took me until the wee hours of the morning to fall asleep. Then I still woke up a lot to check on him. I'm glad I now know what to watch for, as I had never witnessed a sleep seizure until last night. Apparently they are more common than day seizures with BRE. So far, all but this one have been during the day. I still find it hard to accept that my youngest child has epilepsy. I don't want to believe that he's had these seizures. That makes 6 that we know of.

My husband, Andrew's dad, was at a movie with my older son and some friends so he wasn't home at the time. I told him when he got home. He looked at me with frustration at first, but then acceptance, and relief that he was ok.

Andrew is still sick with a cold/bad cough, so maybe that was a trigger. I'm relieved it wasn't really prolonged, or didn't generalize to T/C. Maybe the medicine is starting to work. He's been on sodium valproate for 2.5 weeks now. I'm documenting everything to show to his Ped and the Ped. Epileptologist. He doesn't remember anything about it, even though at one point, his older sister was in the room talking to him as well. I'm glad for that. I don't want the poor little guy to be scared to go to sleep.

This whole journey is emotionally draining. I'm so glad I have you guys to talk to.:hugs:

I'm so sorry that you (and your son) had to experience this. Are the symptoms Andrew had typical of the seizures that he has? If not, it is worth calling the epileptologist's office to report this particular seizure if you do not have an appointment soon with the epileptologist or pediatrician. Being able to identify how often Andrew has night seizures might be helpful in determining whether he needs a higher dose of his medication at night; this isn't uncommon.

Yes, the seizure symptoms were the same as his other complex partials. I had just never witnessed one while he was sleeping before. His Ped told me that if he has anymore seizures after he's been on the medication for a month, to contact him and they'll increase it, but he wouldn't increase it if he has any (like this last one) before that time because he said it takes that long to become fully effective in his system.

Thanks for the reply masterjen.

:hugs:
It must be so hard to see a seizure and not know what to do; harder in some ways than for the person actually having the seizure. Especially tough for a parent, and when the diagnosis is still relatively new.

I hope the medication starts to make a difference, and that you can feel some relief and comfort as the seizures lessen.

:hugs:
It must be so hard to see a seizure and not know what to do; harder in some ways than for the person actually having the seizure. Especially tough for a parent, and when the diagnosis is still relatively new.

:agree: Imagine what my kids went thru when they witnessed their mom seizing, CP and TC.

Hang in there. It does take time for the meds to work.

{{HUGS}}

if this deviated from sort of thing he normally has then maybe good idea see doc

Back
Top Bottom