anti-seizure drugs and bad breath?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hand of Blood

Stalwart
Reaction score
hey guys! been a while since i posted!
Ive been having bad breath more like taste for quite abit now. All tests came back normal after doing research i just seen that the meds can give you bad breath.
Im on 800mg tegretol ... anyone else have this?

I haven't experienced that myself, but I haven't tried Tegretol. Have you tried breath mints or gum?

Hope you are doing well HOB. :)

Hi Hand of Blood,

Take my word I've had that problem for yrs. thanks to the mysoline I take also called primidone. My teeth and everything
are fine it's just the seizure med that's causing the bad breath. I buy mint flavored tic tacs and the listerine strips and that helps
me a lot. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

i eat mints every day but as soon as im done its there.... i brush twice a day and mouth wash even after that its like i didnt brush :(

I've been having the same problem! I put it down to salivary gland stones, but it seems to keep coming back, even though i brush plenty. It's very embarrassing. Having a dry mouth can contribute to the problem, i remember tegretol gave me really bad cotton mouth, which caused the salivary stones, which caused backed up saliva, and the stinkbreath. It's just one thing leading to another i think. Might be worth asking your dentist about it.

Hi Hand of Blood,

I forget to tell you after you brush your teeth rinse your mouth out with hydrogene peroxide this is what my Dentist
told me to do. It will kill all the bacteria in a persons mouth along with making the teeth whiter. It tastes rotten but you
get used to it after awhile. When you first start this use a juice glass and put a tiny about of peroxide in the glass then add
a little water to it and as time goes by just use the peroxide alone with no water. It works really good. I wish you the best
of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I do know that some AEDS--Topamax/Topiramate, for example cause dryness. I'm on 400mg each of Topiramate & Zonisamide, and drink close to half a gallon of water/day. I still have problems with my mouth and throat feeling dry!

don't sleep at night due to dry mouth I now use artificial salaver it bloody awful...I often take apple or juice to bed that helps for ten mins..dry mouth syndrome not nice

I use throat drops a lot--the ones made by Ludens are good. They aren't medicated like most others, & even have a sugar-free version.

Back
Top Bottom