Any epileptic moms out there with young children?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cint...
I totally did over simplify things with my shower remark. Of course showers can be dangerous too. I shouldn't have made such a light hearted remark! I have no idea what it must be like to have a tonic clonic. I can only imagine and I think it must be a hell of alot scarier than the simple partials I have with maybe a second or two lost. I'm sorry about the burns you suffered. It sounds like it was a painful and long process and I'm sure you still have scars.
Depression is a beast. I will mention it to my neurologist but I'm so used to coping and just living with the feeling. My family Dr. refused to give me any anti-depressants since the ones he knew to prescribe would increase my seizures.
My journey is just beginning with being treated as somebody with physiological and not just psychological symptoms and sometimes I'm afraid they're going to change their minds if I'm too pushy! LOL
Thank you for sharing your story. Not being able to drive and having young children is a challenge. I do have lots of support fortunately. Just like you did. It sounds like you were even more isolated than I am.
I have to remember that really I am a lucky person because there are plenty of people out there who suffer through alot more than I do.

bravery

we are some brave women dealing with this affliction and all that it has to offer-fun!! I am in my fifties and back in the dark ages when my kids were little, I had T/Cs only when I fell asleep at night and few and far in between. I did not require outside help with my kids. In your case, Lucky your husband has a job and you have relatives close by.
What about a dog? Not necessarily a service dog, but a smart breed that could sense when you are about to seize. We have a Shetland Sheepdog that has gotten really restless right before I had a seizure and woke my husband up. Granted, with T/Cs the sound of the lamp hitting the floor would have woke him anyway!! Normally, she just lays there like a road block snoring away. Just a suggestion. Although, you did say you have a warning, but as epilepsy goes, that could change any time, and you could loose that warning.
Like you say, lots of folks suffering from something even worse at some point, or, everyone has a story. It is real easy to land on the pity pot with E., and the accompanying depression that can be oh so scary. It is a beast, like you say and plays tricks on the mind making you believe things are worse than they really are. Perspective on life becomes distorted, to say the least. The stigma attached to anything dealing with the mind exacerbates those fears. I did not see you mention anything about your diet, but you might do some research on here or other sites regarding chemicals in our foods (and environment) that affect our brains.
Be sure not to stay isolated, be involved as much as possible. Good luck!

oh my god, it,s all so scary. Im a newby to epilepsy and am having tonic clonic with a small amount of warning. yesterday i had a partial seizure where i didn't lose consciousness but had no control ?? is this common ? I am In a really new relationship and feel like a burdan sometimes which is making me feel so low. any similar stories or advice is greatfully recieved. Also to those able to work, how are you managing employers as mine is being a little difficult

Gigi

Thanks so much for sharing.
It's funny you mentioned a dog. We just got a dog at the end of February.
Whenever I have a seizure he likes to either lie on top of me or right beside me.
So he knows what is going on but I don't think he'd do anything about it...but it's nice having a warm little body closeby. Goodness knows he's bouncing off the walls the rest of the time!
Thanks for the advice and acknowledging the depression that comes along with this battle sometimes.
I am starting to look into altering my diet! Especially estrogen related things...we'll see how it goes!

Hazel

I haven't had a t/c as of yet...knock on wood but from my experience with partials the lack of control while being conscious is oh so common. It's like a ride that I just have to wait out! It's freaky but you get used to it. Well, I hope you don't have to!
I'm sorry that your work is not being supportive. I guess it depends on what you do and how long you've worked there. I've been at my job for 12 years and I'm kinda like their girl Friday and I can do a variety of jobs so I have flexibility.
There are only 20 people who work there so it's got a family feeling. I guess I'm lucky.
It's just a 40 min drive away so it's just tricky getting there.
It might be worthwhile looking into the legalities of what your work is doing. Are they firing you or just making things difficult when you do work there? You need all the support you can get and hopefully your employer comes around.
What a trial for a new relationship!!! This will sure show you if this one is a keeper or not.

Back
Top Bottom