Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dustmansam

Reaction score
I use to take tegretol and depekote, switched to tegretol and lamotrigine, and due to type and frequency switched back to tegretol and depakote. Now the problem. I only have seizures pretty soon after I wake. On tegretol and lamotrigine, I might start to have some petit mal after I wake up, but they will continue until I have a grand mal, sometimes waiting 4-5 hours for the grandmal to happen. On tegretol and depakote, it is the exact opposite. Almost no warning. Also, does anybody have experience with a therapy dog for an adult. Because I only have my seizures after I wake up, it is more for alert than rescue, but it is difficult to find information for adults. Thanks for any help.

Dustmansam,
I am also on Depakote and Tegretol (Carbatrol) and have a vagal nerve stimulator. I never have a warning whatsoever and I think that's why it is dangerous and got the VNS hoping it will help 10 years ago. I have the newest implant now and hoping that really helps as it is supposed to detect seizures ahead of time with detecting increase in heart rate! I guess if I had a choice I'd want the warning because I think it would really be handy to know. Have you discussed options with your doctor? As far as seizure alert dog goes; I just asked my epileptologist and she said they can't really train a dog to do that but they can train a dog (can be very expensive) to assist you during that time, bring meds, push a button to alert someone etc. I recently did a full search on this, too and wanted a dog to help me!! I've read where some dogs are very sensitive to bodily changes in their owners and can possibly detect an on coming seizure. I'm sure there are people out there who charge a lot of money to supposedly train to "seizure alert" but I wasn't willing to go any further with this thinking it wouldn't work for me. Wishing you the best of luck and do you have an epileptologist (specializes in epilepsy)? Thanks, Jeanne

That is very interesting. I will have to look into this VNS as I know nothing about it. I have heard the same thing regarding the therapy dog. My lab is terrified of me if I am having seizures, but as soon as I stop, it is all love and kisses. Wont even come in the room if I am having petit mals.

Hi dustmansam,

You may want to try vimpat I was having seizures not long after I got up and sometimes a few minutes after I went to bed my neuro told me they were myoclonic seizures, after I started taking vimpat the seizures stopped so know I only deal with absence and complex partial seizures. I also use cbd oil (medical marijuana) and that has been a lot of help reducing my seizures.
In regards to the dogs they can be a great help. I've been told that the dog can smell a scent our body gives off 10 min. to 1 hr. before a seizure happens. We can't smell this scent but the dogs do and depending on how they are trained they will either put their paw on your leg or spread out on the floor to protect a person in case they fall do to a seizure. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom