any references for sensitivity to these foods?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
over the past <two weeks I've had some strong feelings during days that have coincided with some dietary changes
mornings I've eaten raisins (raisin bran) and orange juice.

I have had no noticeable effects from other cereals (maybe)
but I found out sulfites are in raisins, ... folate is in OJ, which sounds up in the air either way - good or bad
I don't know

are cereals generally not good?
any favorite cereals you find 'safer'?
raisins/sulfites?
orange juice/folic acid?

I've felt like shit pretty much all day today - and my diet today might make Lance Armstrong blush - wtf

I just started this journey, so won't be very helpful yet. My kiddos are on the GARD diet, but with soy eliminated too... (so, no soy, corn, casien, or gluten...trace amounts I don't panic about..for now)

Cereal - Rice Krispies just put a gluten free one out. Also, you can make your own granola cereal..eliminate possible trigger foods easier that way. I 'think' rice chex is gluten free as well, but may have some of the other 3 I mentioned in it...GF rice Krispies too.

As far as folic acid goes, I've heard that was good, as its usually low in those who have seizures. Maybe its the sugar? Try fresh? I've heard nothing about sulfites tho.

Raisin Bran has gluten in it...Not sure what else that could be a trigger

I'm guessing sugar overload. Both raisins and orange juice pack a wallop on the glycemic index. My wife is on a pseudo-LGIT diet and she avoids concentrated sugar bombs like those.

Why don't you try a breakfast that is lower in carbs (and use complex carbs instead of simple) and a little higher in protein? Also, you might want to substitute fresh fruit for the juice.

Eggs are obvious, but I hate them personally! I've switched to a breakfast with half a whole wheat English muffin, with an ounce of cheese melted on top, and some skim milk on side (I get my fruit later in day). It cut my carbs and glycemic load noticeably, and my blood sugar has come down about 15 points.

Some fruit options that are lower in carbs when eaten fresh are star fruit and just about any of the berries.

Back
Top Bottom