Anybody here have a seizure alert dog?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

edepew151

New
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I've been on the waiting list for a seizure alert dog for 2 years now, and they say it could be up to 3 more years until I get one. It takes so long because I'm going through Canine Assistants, which is one of the very few organizations that places them for free. Well, over the past month, my epilepsy has gotten a LOT worse. I used to have 1 or 2 seizures a month, but I've had 5 incidents the past week! I'm supposed to be starting college next week! I want to know if anybody here has a seizure alert dog, and what program you went through, if you got it any quicker than my waiting time?

There's an organization in my area called "Dogs for Life, Inc." I inquired ab sz service dogs, and they said they don't train them; however, I got some great tips. I need a dog w/these characteristics: (1.) calm, (2.) like Velcro, (3.) good sense of smell (precludes smashed-in nose dogs, lol, pugs, boston terriers), (4.) sociable, and (5.) trainable. Oh, and no puppies, b/c you don't kno their adult temperaments. She said their success rate is only 70% w/hearing & mobility dogs, and that dogs that kno you personally, after an extended period of time, pick up on your behavior and pheromones. The President of Dogs for Life told me that you can train a dog of your own, and bond with your dog. She said as long as you have the amount of clock hours, and can graduate from AKC Good Citizenship, etc. She said it would take $3-4k to do it when it all comes out in the wash. Not what I wanted to hear, but helpful. If I went that route, she was nice and said she would help me pick the dog out.

Back
Top Bottom