Anyone Ever Use Serotonin?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Porkette

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

When the winter weather and change in temp comes I start to get really exhausted and moody and the seizures increase for me. My Dr. told me I have "seasonal seizures" meaning a person will have more seizures at a certain time of the yr. I found out that the reason this is happening is because of the lack of serotonin. What I was wondering is have any of you ever bought the serotonin over the counter and given it a try for seizures or anything else. I'm tempted to give it a try. Wishing all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi Janus,

If it's okay with my pharmacist and the serotonin won't affect my meds I'm going to give it a try because the cold winter
weather and getting dark earlier has effected me for yrs. in regards to more seizures. Take care and thanks for dropping me
a line. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Sue, have you tried a light therapy box? That can also help boost serotonin levels in the winter.

Hi Nakamova,

No I haven't tried a light therapy box but I have tried to shine bright lights in the living room and I haven't seen much of a
difference. I will look into light therapy it sounds like a good idea, thank you for the info. Wishing you only the best and May God
Bless You!

Sue

Hi Porkette

I have never used Serotonin directly myself but you may find the following interesting:

Pyridoxal 5′‐phosphate, the active form of vitamin B6, is an essential cofactor for multiple enzymes, including aromatic l‐amino acid decarboxylase that catalyses the final stage in the production of the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin.

Aromatic l‐amino acid decarboxylase (AADC; dopa decarboxylase; E.C. 4.1.1.28) is a PLP‐dependent enzyme that catalyses the production of dopamine and serotonin from l‐3, 4‐dihydroxyphenylalanine (l‐dopa) and l‐5‐hydroxytryptophan (5‐HTP), respectively.

The above two quotes were taken from the following URL:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1471-4159.2010.06742.x

I have the condition 'PNPO Deficiency' - confirmed via a genetic test. PNPO Deficiency is also mentioned in the above URL. My story can be read here.

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Last edited:
HI Andrew,

Thanks for the info. I won't be changing any of my meds at all. Usually serotonin causes more activity in the brain but as strange
of a case that I am with my seizures my Epileptologist told me that this is what I need to help reduce the seizures. I have noticed a
big difference when there's more serotonin in the summer and how I have fewer seizures but when the fall and winter come and
there's less serotonin outside the seizures start up and I'm exhausted most of the time. Thanks again for your help. I wish you
only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

For light therapy to boost serotonin it has to be a specific kind of light that you look at for a certain amount of time, at a certain distance. You can read a bit about it here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...nal-affective-disorder-treatment/art-20048298 and also ask your doctor about it. As an example, the lamp shown below gets good reviews on Amazon and from other testers.
  • Circadian Optics Lumine Light Therapy Lamp | As Seen On Shark Tank | 10,000 LUX Ultra Bright LED | Full Spectrum UV Free | Modern Minimalist | Turn On Your Day
Roll over image to zoom in

Circadian Optics Lumine Light Therapy Lamp

Hi Nakamova,

Thank you for the wonderful info. I will be sure to check it out it's better than taking meds any day. Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Usually serotonin causes more activity in the brain but as strange of a case that I am with my seizures my Epileptologist told me that this is what I need to help reduce the seizures.

I have read a similar thing with Absence Epilepsy here.

Back
Top Bottom