anyone experience weight gain?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Leanne

New
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am on both generic keppra and generic lamictal twice a day. I'm not overweight but I've been trying to lose some weight ever since I came back from college. (4 years of college can do a lot!) Anyway, I am having trouble losing the weight. I mean I go to the gym, follow the diet, lost a few pounds, but I feel that I'm at a stand still right now. Do any of you think the medication has something to do with this? Websites say that lamictal and keppra don't cause weight gain but I feel that it's having some effect. Any ideas? Thanks!

YUP! Even the medicines that aren't supposed to do. Yet, try looking at your diet. Check your fats to carb (fruits/veggies) ratio, etc. I also stopped eating after 7p. It seems to help as does drinking a lot of water.

I find that diets that don't include triggers (GARD, raw, etc) are more beneficial to both losing weight and maintaining control.

Good Luck!---LMT

Hi Leanne --

I've gained 10 pounds since going on Lamictal last fall. The doctor says that the weight gain should stabilize, so I'm hoping to be able to reverse it eventually.

Best,
Nakamova

I was on Keppra and Depakote last year and gained 8 pounds in 6 weeks. That combined with them not controlling my seizures caused my Dr. to pull me off both. The weight however did not come off, it never does, until right after my surgery. I lost my appetite and had a lot of vomiting from the Morphine, not a recommended weight loss program:roflmao:

I'm not sure about you but seizure meds also make me so lethargic I have no desire to work out. So not a great combo. A hypoglycemic diet does wonders for weight loss and seizure control.

Good Luck.

I've not

had problems gaining weight with those two, but I gained 100 lbs on Depakote. OMW, it was disgusting. I could NOT control my appetite, and ate everything under the sun..........

yeh i was on deppakote when I was in 9th grade or something like that. I gained a lot of weight and was eventually taken off of that. Thank God.

Depakote mixed with lamictal is the worst! I gained 30 lbs in 10 wks even though my diet hadn't changed. I lost 50 lbs 2 summers ago while on Lamictal and Topamax, (which is also a weight loss drug,) but now I'm up 30 lbs, again w/o changing my diet.

I don't care what the studies say about little to no weight loss. I think it's all a conspiracy theory. LOL!

I've actually been losing weight on generic keppra; it seems to majorly cut my appetite and I've had a bunch of energy. I'm hoping it keeps working as well as it has been.

Rebecca is in great shape, exercise, GFCFdiet, and being med free. Her skin is still breaking out, but I attribute that to the hormonal imbalance and yeast that is still not undercontrol.

I don't know about Keppra, but Lamictal never made me gain weight. I've been on Lamictal for years and recently off Depakote and am now taking Topamax and lamictal. I've lost over 100 pounds. It's taken a couple of years, but it has come off.

This may sound totally illogical, but once I stopped drinking diet sodas, I lost 5 pounds. I am also on Lamictal. My weakness is chocolate, but I try to lay off the sugar as much as possible.
Personally, I lost 10 pounds from making a most delicious dessert. I make it with 1/3 cup sugar rather than the original 2/3 listed below and I use less pumpkin spice, but that's a subjective thing.

Crustless Pumpkin Pie:

1 Can of Pumpkin
1 Can of 1% Low-fat Evaporated Milk
3/4 C. egg substitute or 3 egg whites
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp pumpkin spice
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup powdered 10x Confectioners sugar
Pam for baking
Cinnamon

Combine egg whites, milk, vanilla and salt.
Gradually add sugar.
Add pumpkin.
Pour in a 9 inch sprayed pie pan
Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
Bake at 400 degrees for first 15 minutes.
Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes until knife comes out clean.

Last edited:
Hello.
Congrats on finishing college! That's awesome....
Feeling like you are gaining weight is not fun- try talking to your Neuro about it! They may have suggestions that will be helpful to you!

Back
Top Bottom