Are these seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello! Hope all is well with everyone! My concern is my 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy @ 10 months of age. Well she was in & out of hospitals up until around 9. It's been almost 2 years since having seizures (they come in clusters) and I was wondering when she sleeps I notice that she will make a body twitch or twitch of hand, leg, arm or foot and she lets out a big breathe like she just had one. But that's the only body movement out of her and she does drool a lot while doing this. She's not a drooler when sleeping. EEG results showed abnormal readings, did overnight EEG and it indicated no seizure acticvity. But sometimes, she's tired in the mornings and just wants to sleep. Does anyone experience this with their child? Confused but yet concerned! Please help!

Hello.. I'll just call you Mom! :D

During sleep, any movements can be normal. That doesn't mean they are. I had movements in my sleep that my neurologist decided were related to epilepsy. Use a video camera or phone to record if you notice the movements so you can show them to her doctor. If it weren't for video, my medication wouldn't have been adjusted. Use the camera often.

On the other hand many sleep disorders may effect her state during sleep. It could be a loss or excess atonia during sleep. Loss can cause RBD and excess could cause sleep paralysis. Less likely would be sleep paralysis.

I would expect simple or complex partial, honestly.

Good luck!

simply sounds like hypnic jerks, they're common during sleep time, and as far as i can tell, benign.

i get them all the time, even while awake, not sure at all as to why. my EEG indicated temporal lobe hyperactivity, but i've never had a seizure. i'm no expert on EEG's but my friend is studying neuro and she even told me that EEG's are very open to interpretation.

My daughters sleep study and video EEG did not detect her frontal lobe seizures because they originate so deep in the brain they are hard to detect. A sleep deprived EEG confirmed our diagnosis. Sleep behavior is often so hard to differentiate y just watching, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom