are you ashamed?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

that is inspiring to know you are an avid biker - I have been having shame about my epilepsy also
but also I have been scoping for bikes
I'm sick of bus, rides, etc

I will ride the bus/take the train but, only in inclement weather. Every other time I go on my bike.

What kind of bike riding do you want to do i.e. exercise and/or racing, mountain and/or road, pleasure/touring and/or commuter.

There are various bike styles

While my bike is a racing road bike, I also use it for exercise and touring.

My bike is not a hybrid, but hybrid(mountain and road) bikes are popular.

Go to a local bike shop to look at bikes. Because, While buying a bike at Walmart or Sears or through the classifieds is cheaper, you would need to have the bike inspected, to make sure you are not being sold a piece of junk.

Also, Get a bike helmet. Only buy one at a bike shop. Never from Walmart or from the newspaper.

Lastly, Find out the local laws in your locale, as to cyclists' rights.

In the U.S., cyclists have been fighting for their rights to be respected, ever since 1880 when the first bike laws regarding roads went into affect.

My state says 'No' to sidewalks but allows for local jurisdictions to change that.

My county says 'Yes' to sidewalks.

My city defers to the state's position.

So anywhere outside the city limits, but inside the county, I can ride on the sidewalk if I need to.

Personally, I ride my racing bike in the road fast, and I 'take the lane'.

RSVP me ASAP as to my questions above.

Last edited:
i'm not ashamed, but like nakamova, its not the first thing i tell people. for me, i'm actually proud as well. before i was diagnosed, (10th grade) i had no idea that i had it so good. of course i'm not doomed and i'm ppretty damn lucky still, but i feel kind of blessed to know that i can have a disease and still be me and that i live with it pretty successfully so far. it's only been a year lol but i think i'm coping pretty well.

I think I am the last person in the world to be ashamed. I need to be a better listener to my son about how he feels about it.

Yeah, I'm ashamed. I'm ashamed I ever let this damn disease make me think I couldn't do something.
I gave up going to med school when I was an undergrad because I thought I couldn't do it. Now, 10 years later, I've heard too many stories about crappy docs to think that my epilepsy might make me an unfit doctor. Now I know my epilepsy will make me a better doctor.
I'm ashamed I ever thought of my epilepsy was a hinderance. The reality is the struggle has made me stronger. I'm not inferior because of my epilepsy, I'm tougher, more determined, more sensitive and more patient.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it... Truest thing I ever heard.

I was taught to be ashamed.
The grade school kids laughed at me shortly after the official diagnosis. I had friends before then.
My parents were not that supportive. They did there best to hide me, shame me that I didn't behave myself, and that is why I'd seize.

Adulthood is no better. Since I didn't learn to cope as a kid, I can't cope with taunting and bullying now.

I was ashamed of having E. for many years and would try to hide it if I could.

The 1st time my co-workers and boss found out, I had been just diagnosed. went to work the next day on 1st. medic. and fell asleep at my desk.

They 1st. thought I must have been drinking the night before.

I was called into my bosses office, asked to explain myself, which I did.
He was very understanding, and told me that I should have told him.

...many years later... my memory is so bad, so when I get those LOOKS I tell them.

I was diagnosied at seventeen,i certainly wasnt ashamed at all not that i am now.I think it was i didint realise or understand the severity epilepsy was going to cause me for the rest of my life.I was just given pills and told to take two in the morning and two at night.

I think when people are diagnosed there should be someone there for them trained to explain the many issues that surround epilepsy,then people may not find it quite as hard to accept epilepsy and not have so many problems with their diagnosis,and living with it.

Oh and for the threads sake i hate bloody epilepsy.

Last edited:
I gave up bicycle racing because of my epilepsy because I became a danger to myself and others, but I still ride.

If you want some additions to the other post about cycling pm,
other than that, do what makes you happy.

I was diagnosied at seventeen,i certainly wasnt ashamed at all not that i am now.I think it was i didint realise or understand the severity epilepsy was going to cause me for the rest of my life.I was just given pills and told to take two in the morning and two at night.

I think when people are diagnosed there should be someone there for them to trained to explain the many issues that surround epilepsy,then people may not find it quite as hard to accept epilepsy and not have so many problems with their diagnosis,and living with it.

Other than me being diagnosed at 25 (9 years too late)... DITTO TO EVERY WORD.

double ditto

when I was diagnosed I woke up on meds in the hospital and given a bottle an Rx and told "bye!" maybe handed a pamphlet or something
but these are the types of things that are really hard to absorb when you're told by someone who has no idea what they're talking about in terms of a first-hand experience - not that doctors have to have a personal experience with whatever they treat - but it's such a vague disease anyway...
although, it has been a lot of FUN in that I have never been so involved in my body monitoring except for when I was vegetarian - life is a science and a balance

diagnosed at 38

in a way seizures are relieving because otherwise it's a bit like not believing in ghosts - and then seeing one - but then having skepticism creep back in "no it must have been a reflection of some sort..." but then seeing one again... then again... and again...

I find it annoying just because everyone doesn't have seizures and isn't aware at all of this reality

>>>>>>>>>>>>
Originally Posted by neil129 :

I think when people are diagnosed there should be someone there for them to trained to explain the many issues that surround epilepsy,then people may not find it quite as hard to accept epilepsy and not have so many problems with their diagnosis,and living with it.

I dont think people want to really know about seizures or their reality,unfortunatly it still scares people so they dont want their nice lives terrorized by us crazzzzzzzy people!!!

A good experiment would be if every one had to spend a year dealing with seizures,plenty of reality and goverment funding then me thinks,lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom