Auras a plenty

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I apologize for not being on, buteverything was quiet for the longest time until the past few days.

I'm going through some deep depression, sleepless nights, and anxiety right now. I've been having auras constantly, and had a complex partial last night. The ativan (1/2 mg) doesn't touch it anymore either.

I was doing so good too!

Hey Skyfire,

1/2 mg of Ativan is what you take, wow, my doc told me to take 2 of the 2mg pills and to put it under the tongue. Although after my seizure is over i'll head to the nearest sink and spit out whatever may be left in my mouth.

:piano: :pop:

Hey everyone! I apologize for not being on, buteverything was quiet for the longest time until the past few days.

I'm going through some deep depression, sleepless nights, and anxiety right now. I've been having auras constantly, and had a complex partial last night. The ativan (1/2 mg) doesn't touch it anymore either.

I was doing so good too!

Hi Skyfire. I'm sorry you're going through a hard time right now. 1/2 mg doesn't sound like much, maybe you need to ask for a larger dose or try taking 2 the next time to see if it helps.

I have a prescription to klonipin from another doctor to help me sleep. My neuro said if I start having clusters of partials to cut one in 1/2 a take it. I'm not sure how the 2 drugs compare in strength though. I used to have partials all the time in clusters. It was horrible, the worst is the exhaustion.

I hope you feel better soon.

The next time I see my doc, I'm going to ask for him to up the dose. I don't want to get addicted to the stuff, but I'd rather be a little loopy, then in an ER bed.

The next time I see my doc, I'm going to ask for him to up the dose. I don't want to get addicted to the stuff, but I'd rather be a little loopy, then in an ER bed.
I wouldn't worry about becoming addicted but I understand not wanting to take more than necessary. I am resistant to increasing my lamictial. I can handle a brief simple partial occasionally.No one wants to be addicted but there is a difference between addicted and dependent. If you are taking it for a legitimate medical reason you are dependent but not addicted. It is something you need if your current dose isn't working any longer you probably need something stronger.

My husband talks 1mg of ativan almost every day and he has for about 8 years. He was on 2 mg and asked the doctor to decrees it. It has kept his ulceritive colitis in remission since he has taken it. He's not addicted to it because sometimes he even has some left over at the end of the month.

Agreeing with what everyone else posted that the 1/2 mg dose is way too low. My daughter who is 4 years old and only 33lbs takes 1mg of ativan for a cluster or prolonged seizure. It doesn't make her loopy at all. and she rarely gets it-i think she has had it 3 times in a year.

Hey Skyfire,
I too have been having a difficult time for about a month now. I was taking 1mg. lorazepam to sleep but stopped last month. Since then I haven't been sleeping well. Waking up every hour, not being able to go back to sleep. On top of this all, my stress level has increased due to bipolar son situation. Also having auras that are scaring me. What to do? Friday afternoon had a meltdown in front of my daughter-in-law. Stress related but I know that sleep deprivation had much to do with it. I'm going to see a new neurologist that I hope will prescribe some sleeping aid.
Good Luck!
M

Ativan is a powerful drug, not meant to be taken for long term. Any Benzo type drug. It's very addictive, especially if you have an addictive nature.

For me, when i take Ativan and i don't spit it out, the rest of the day is really messed up if i dont go to sleep. I'll have hallucinations. And for the next few days, sleep will be hard to come by, that is one of the side effects, it helps you fall asleep, but in the long run it will make you less tired.

Here is some more info on Benzo type drugs.

"Pre-existing depression may emerge or worsen during use of benzodiazepines including lorazepam. Ativan (lorazepam) is not recommended for use in patients with a primary depressive disorder or psychosis.

Use of benzodiazepines, including lorazepam, both used alone and in combination with other CNS depressants, may lead to potentially fatal respiratory depression. (See PRECAUTIONS, Clinically Significant Drug Interactions)

Use of benzodiazepines, including lorazepam, may lead to physical and psychological dependence.

As with all patients on CNS-depressant drugs, patients receiving lorazepam should be warned not to operate dangerous machinery or motor vehicles and that their tolerance for alcohol and other CNS depressants will be diminished."

read more at http://www.rxlist.com/ativan-drug/warnings-precautions.htm

:piano:

Zolt,
That is why I don't want to take it anymore but the insomnia is also taking its toll. It's like a vicious circle. Take drugs or don't sleep.
Getting old stinks! Never had problems when I was younger!
M

My body finally caved and I had a full on anxiety attack yesterday. I've never been a huge fan of Benzos because I get ridiculously loopy, so I've been drinking a lot of stress relief and sleepy time tea. That has helped with the whole sleep part, but the auras are still pretty strong.

Nutritionay be playing a part since I'm only eating two meals a day, but I've been eating like that for quite some time though. I set up an appointment with a GP on Tuesday, so hopefully that'll shed a bit more light. My neurologist is near impossible to get in touch with currently, so I'm kind of in the dark :(

Back
Top Bottom