[Research] Autism & Acupuncture

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
This study was done in May 2010.

A new human study suggests that acupuncture may have beneficial effects in children with autism spectrum disorders.

Autism spectrum disorders are characterized by problems with communication, social interaction, as well as unusual, repetitive behaviors. Examples of these disorders include autism, Asperger's syndrome, Childhood disintegrative disorder, pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS) and Rett syndrome.

In the study, 50 children with autism were randomly assigned to either tongue acupuncture or sham acupuncture for eight weeks. In the sham acupuncture group, acupuncture needles were inserted in non-acupoints on the tongue.

By the end of the study, both groups experienced significant improvements in various developmental and behavioral aspects of autism, such as hand-eye coordination, social skills and language comprehension. Overall, the true acupuncture group tended to show greater improvements in their symptoms. However, the only statistically significant improvement in the treatment group as compared to the control group was in self-care and cognition domains of the Functional Independence Measure for children.

The researchers call for additional, long-term research in the area.

http://www.naturalstandard.com/monographs/news/news201005033.asp?printversion=true

Thanks for posting this.

Having a child with autism, and working at a practice that specializes in kids with autism...I wonder how they got the children to cooperate with the procedure.

Thanks for posting this.

Having a child with autism, and working at a practice that specializes in kids with autism...I wonder how they got the children to cooperate with the procedure.

The sources that posted the study (Natural Standard: The Authority on Integrative Medicine. www.naturalstandard.com and Virginia Chun-Nei Wong, Jie-Guang Sun. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. May 2010, 16(5): 545-553. doi:10.1089/acm.2007.0768) Might have more details.

I would assume that they had used acupuncture to calm/sedate the clients.

Found this regarding autistic children

Children born to mothers living near vehicle-polluted freeways might be twice as likely to have autism, an intriguing new study has found.

Focusing on children living in three California cities, the study examined whether a pregnant mother's increased exposure to vehicle pollutants puts her offspring at greater risk of having autism.

A team of investigators behind the study said Friday this is the first to establish a link between autism risk and exposure to vehicle emissions.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20101217/autism-liked-to-pollutants-101217/

Along with many other folks, I've always felt that the surge in autism cases is connected to the rise in the scope and variety of environmental toxins over the last 20 years. The study you cite seems to back this up, and I expect there will be other similar findings in the next few years.

That was very interesting thank you very much :)
My eldist daughter suffers with autistic features..

Just read this in the news

I thought it was pretty interesting:

People with autism use their brain resources differently, which may explain why some show strong abilities in remembering visual details, a new study suggests.

Researchers in Montreal reviewed 15 years of data on the way the autistic brain works when interpreting faces, objects and written words for 357 people with autism and 370 non-autistic individuals.

The study in Monday's issue of the journal Human Brain Mapping concludes the brains of autistic people show more activity in the temporal and occipital regions at the back that perceive and recognize patterns and objects.

Autistic brain organized differently

Autism, rather like "Epilepsy", is a very broad descriptive term which is used to reference a wide spectrum of different behavioural patterns and syndromes of greatly varying severity which share a cluster of similar observable features. I don't therefore think it's a good idea to try to generalise specific potential triggers as applying to the condition as a whole by assuming that there is "a cause" or even "causes" that can be attributed to autism in general. It seems more likely to me that specific autistic subtypes and symptoms have different causes; or perhaps in some cases groups of contributary factors, such as a mixture of potential environmental triggers and inherent genetic susceptibility, which will cause certain autistic symptoms to manifest in an individual once a certain (as yet largely unknown) threshold is met.

Having said that, I think the way we live now is likely to be a significant factor in the contemporary and recent rise in cases (though I don't think we should rule out the fact that there is a greater awareness of the condition and consequent willingness to diagnose either). I have difficulty believing that the environmental pollutants, pharmaceuticals, industrially altered foodstuffs and chemical additives we daily and unthinkingly consume and are exposed to (which human bodies never had to deal with over millions of years of evolution) are not going to have some kind of effect on the delicate brain of the developing fetus. Lifestyle probably has a lot to do with it as well.

I've long suspected that my nephew's autism, which is towards the more serious end of the spectrum in many respects, was triggered, besides any inherent genetic susceptibility he may have posessed, by the three following factors: His mother continued smoking fairly heavily while pregnant (she claimed it helped her deal with her very severe morning sickness which the doctors were largely refusing to give her medication for); he was born very prematurely (thus with the brain at an immature stage of development); and he spent around six months of his life in neonatal care in the hospital in consequence, much of that intensive care. I actually place a lot of emphasis on the last as a potential trigger.

Before I went into the unit to see him, I had no idea what incredibly stressful places premature baby units were, with their constant routine testing and medical intervention (much of it superfluous to actual care needs or attempting to pre-empt them); the exposed position of the baby in the incubator to facilitate medical intervention and observation; lack of meaningful human interaction; and constant, 24 hour loud noise and bright lighting. The baby, which at this stage in its development should be in the relatively secure and peaceful environment of the womb, is subjected to this all day, every day, until it's ready to go home.

Human brain growth patterns, in which the higher cognitive areas (especially the cerebral cortex) develop late in the growth process, mean that the baby's brain is undergoing significant growth and maturation during this period when it's being exposed to massive and unnatural environmental stress. It doesn't surprise me in the least that autism levels are much higher in very premature babies than the general population (I've seen it listed as high as 25%), and I think they really could do with eliminating the iatrogenetic factor to bring those rates down a bit. I'm sure the standard defense of these outrageously high rates is that autism is simply a natural consequence of prematurity and it's therefore out of their hands: but they used to think that of the high rates of blindness before they realised that the overuse of oxygen therapy was causing oxygen toxicity and retinal damage, significantly exarcerbating the problem.

I don't doubt that the neonatal units are very effective at fulfilling their intended function of keeping the delicate premature newborns alive; I just wish they'd design the units and their operating proceedures with more attention to the child's future developmental needs rather than seeing their roles so narrowly. If they're sucessful the child has a whole lifetime ahead of it outside the unit, and that life is going to be a lot easier for both the child and its parents without the symptoms of autism.

/rant over ;)

Oh, and I don't know how the heck they managed to get those kids to sit still in order to put needles in them either. It currently takes five determined adults (at least three of them medical professionals) to give an injection or blood test to my nephew, who is seven. And even then it's apparently a struggle and will probably have to be attempted several times before success.

Last edited:
I don't doubt that the neonatal units are very effective at fulfilling their intended function of keeping the delicate premature newborns alive; I just wish they'd design the units and their operating proceedures with more attention to the child's future developmental needs rather than seeing their roles so narrowly. If they're sucessful the child has a whole lifetime ahead of it outside the unit, and that life is going to be a lot easier for both the child and its parents without the symptoms of autism.

A hospital in Boston has just started a program where they have the mom make a recording of her voice and they play it in the neonate's crib -- it seems to help. :)

Found this regarding autistic children
Quote :
Children born to mothers living near vehicle-polluted freeways might be twice as likely to have autism, an intriguing new study has found.

Focusing on children living in three California cities, the study examined whether a pregnant mother's increased exposure to vehicle pollutants puts her offspring at greater risk of having autism.

An recent Australian study found that pregnant women have a higher risk of giving birth prematurely if they live near a concentration of busy roads and highways. "The most striking result was the reduction in gestation time of 4.4 per cent or almost two weeks associated with an increase in freeways within 400 metres of the women's home," said Professor Adrian Barnett, the study's author. He believes both air and noise pollution could be contributing factors. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-04/quot-bbe040411.php

Back
Top Bottom