B6

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Good morning, I know this topic has been discussed before so forgive me for asking again, but how long does it take to see improvement in mood after starting B6. My son has had increased seizure activity so that means increased meds, he is now on 1,500 mgs of Keppra AM and 1,250 PM, as soon as we got to this level I have seen terrible mood side effects. The doctor wants to first try B6 before trying another drug, so we started him on 100mgs this weekend. Just curious on how long it takes to work, if it works and if anyone has had experience with their children and B6. Thanks.

I believe that B6 works because it's important to turning Tryptophan (Amino Acid) into Seratonin (Neurotransmitter which effects mood). That's the only reason I can see or think of for B6 to be used in this fashion.

An important part to keep in mind about this process is, Tryptophan isn't produced by the body. It has to come from our diet for it to be available to the body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptophan
On the Wiki article for Tryptophan, there's a chart showing foods that have Tryptophan in them, if you were wondering. He needs to eat foods that have it in them so it's available to his cells. :)

His response to the B6 will hinge upon a few factors. B6 levels, Tryptophan levels, and Serotonin levels since before he took the B6.
If the tryptophan levels are present and the B6 is present, it'll begin to convert to serotonin in the brain, which improves mood. If the serotonin levels were low to begin with, it will take longer than if they were normal to begin with. It's also a pretty time and energy intensive process for the body, so it will do only so much at any one time. Which means it takes time for noticeable levels to be made.

So, my advice would be to make sure your son has the foods that provide the nutrients he needs, and be patient. :) In a month if there's no change, then it's probably not working, however for the time being it's good to allow his body to do what it's designed to do. If he's got all the right building blocks for the process to work, it'll happen on its own. :)

EDIT: Side note: It also wouldn't do any good to overload him with those foods, or with B6. Because the body can only use so much at any one time, any excess gets pushed out of the system. So it's not possible to speed up the process by essentially taking huge doses of either, because the body will grab what it can use at the moment, and get rid of the rest. So just make sure they're a part of his daily routine. :)

Last edited:
We do 875mg am and pm of Keppra and we were having HORRIBLE mood swings. We do 100 mg of b6 with each am and pm dose. After about two weeks I was ready to give up and then it really seemed to help. He still has his moments, but nothing like it was. It took about 2 1/2 weeks before I noticed anything. Good Luck!!

eflower, so you do 200 mgs of B6 a day? I think the body also adjusts to the keppra, the doctor told me to give it two weeks. He had been doing so well, this just sucks!
@Silat, thank you for the info, truly appreciated.

We do!! The Doctor told us to start at 50x2 a day and to be honest we did not listen and went straight to 100 x2 a day. I have noticed an AMZAING difference in his attitude. Our peds neuro REFUSED to take him off the Keppra unless he was having sucidial thoughts. We(his father and I) were at out emotional and mental breaking point....who was the boy that used to be so sweet and caring!! He is not 100% the kid he used to be however he is def better than what he was. Hope this helps and works for you all too!!! Let me know if I can help any further!!

I hear you, my doc does not want to remove Keppra either but we have been very close to our breaking point, definitely in crisis at different points in time. We also started him on Abilify, which is a mood stabilizer, and it has done wonders for us, but that too can have side effects so the doctor does not want to increase the dose. My concern and I am sure yours too, is that we have no place to go with the Keppra, I refuse to increase it again so if he has seizures, then what? If we are going to have to add another med anyway I would rather do it now and lower the keppra to the point of no side effects while adding another drug.

One caution with the B6 -- sometimes it can interfere with sleep and/or cause very vivid dreaming, so you may want to avoid giving it to him right before bedtime.

B6 and Keppra

My 16 year old daughter is on 1500 mg Keppra ER and takes 100 mg of B6 in the morning and in the evening, 2-3 hours before bed. Her moods seem to be better, although she doesn't think so. I see a difference.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom