Back from the Dr.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Kater's appointment was Tuesday at the Children's Hospital, so we went the day before so that we didn't have to leave for the 90 minute drive at 5 AM.

I don't really think there was anything that wasn't expected. While she has about 5 times a day that it is obvious she is having seizures, her brain is misfiring approx. 20 times an hour. Most of that has no physical symptoms..it is just happening. So in a way that is a good thing, but yet what you can't see can't be treated.

This was the first time we were able to get her to sleep for an EEG!! I only let her sleep for about 4 hours, so she was beyond tired. (evil mom!!) During sleep it was 15 seconds of spikes and then normal brain activity for about a minute and then 15-20 seconds of spikes. Not like I can understand them, but I am assuming that's not "normal". Her Dr. added Zarontin to the Depakote since she is currently taking 375 Mg of that 3 times a day and that is the maximum doseage for a child her size.

So that will be started slowly. 5 mL a night for 2 weeks, 5 mL morning and night for 2 weeks, 10 mL morning - 5 mL at night until we are at 10 mL morning and night.

While she has about 5 times a day that it is obvious she is having seizures, her brain is misfiring approx. 20 times an hour. Most of that has no physical symptoms..it is just happening. So in a way that is a good thing, but yet what you can't see can't be treated.

EEG neurofeedback can really help cut down on that misfiring.

Back
Top Bottom