Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi- I am a little frustrated because yesterday I had a bad day with seizures. No big ones, but absence and simple partial. I am annoyed because I was chatting on the webcam with my best friend (Crystal11) and it interrupted what we were talking about many more times than I would like. Of course, Crystal is very understanding because she has partial epilepsy herself but I still don't like for her to have to see them...I guess I sort of asked for it though because I had accidentally taken meds wrong the day before (I am on Keppra and Lamictal) and have had a bad schedule with sleep and have been having alcohol more often than usual (Nowhere near the point of abuse though). Today has been much better and so far no seizures, so I am happy about that--so one good thing. I am a little frustrated as well over the fact that I had been seizure free for nine years until just over two years ago, when I had just finished my first semester at a four year university. I had a GM while I was driving (I was 22 at the time) and could not drive until a year and a half later. I got my license back and then 6 months later I had another seizure while driving. So I am pretty sure I won't be driving for a long while. Has anybody else seemed to have a problem with seizures after being under control for a long time? I am interested to know if anyone else has had this same issue. Thanks for the responses. :)

Hey Rach- I am glad your feeling better now. I know it bothers you that your seizures are infront of us but like you always tell us, "Don't worry about it". Since we all have seizures and Epilepsy we understand what its like no matter what. Glad that your not having any seizures today. Take care and be safe Rach.
-Crystal

I have had issues with a long seizure control. It usually requires some additional diet, change in medication or lifestyle change. I no longer drink alcohol. My drugs already give me that hangover.

I find stress a pretty strong factor. During my time at college, I did occasionally have a beer (limit of one bottle) without driving. I usually woke up the next morning with a chewed up mouth or very fatigued. The after effect wasn't worth the 'fun' drink.

I experienced sleep deprivation a lot when studying for exams which could be stressful. Walking around a huge campus did help my stress level.

Personally, I tried to get ahead as much as possible in courses so that I could reduce stress for exams. I spent a whole summer with a set of books that were used the following semester. That was enough of a head start for me to keep going.

Hi Rach, welcome to the forum. :hello:

My wife went 4 years without a seizure before having a relapse (after giving birth to our first child).

Sounds like you have good control as long as you keep everything on schedule. You are fortunate in that regards. :)

Hi Rach! LOL...You are not the only one who has had seizures after long time without. :) I went about 20 years with great control....then, I started having breakthrough seizures, which ended up with me having seizures every 2 weeks. I have grandmals. I tried taking Magnesium, and that helped. I was down to 1 every 6 weeks. Then I got pregnant and had to switch meds. Since the switch, absolutely no seizures. So, can seizures start up after a long time of being under control? You bet. It may be that your levels need to be upped....or it may be that the med has stopped working for you entirely. And yes, that can happen. It's as if the body gets used to having that chemical and it no longer works. However, you said that your sleep has been off as well as an increase in alcohol. Both can trigger seizures. So can changes in diet. So my advice would be to make sure you get enough sleep (no waiting to cram for exams. :)) cut back to nearly nothing on the alcohol, and make sure that you keep your stress levels low. Also, if your drinking coffee (most college students I know do.) or energy drinks you need to wean yourself off of them. Once you've made these changes, if it doesn't help to at least reduce the number of seizures, than go see the doctor and ask that he have your serum levels as well as your thyroid and blood sugar levels checked. (Imbalance in either can trigger seizures too. ) Who knows, you might be able to get control again. :)

Hey man, sorry to hear it. I've recently lost my license due to a car crash as well, no fun :(

Back
Top Bottom