been trying to give up sodas and caffiene

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

C0urt

Veteran
Reaction score
oddly enough for someone who was known for leading a fairly dangerous lifestyle. It is surprisingly healthy. little fat, little grease, lots of veggies, no candies or cakes or stuff, rarely chips, the list goes on. lots of exercise.

but I do have a caffiene addiction, and my epilepsy acts up when i try to cut back. went for three weeks for little to no sodas this time, and it got to the point i would have a seizure pass out, and while passed out, have another seizure. today went out, rode my bicycle 4 blocks came home and had a seizure.

considering my gf is also acting up at the same time about the time about the fact she wants more feelings in the relationship. I decided to give up and go back to sodas this time.

You do sound healthy!
ANy addiction is sooooooo hard to break. It becomes a crutch. You want to get rid of it, but at the same time you don't want to.....
And when it messes with your threshold it must be harder to justify. I guess you can't go cold turkey that's for sure!
I guess wherever you were going on your bike just had to wait. Glad you made it home on time.
As far as girlfriends go I can't really offer any advice. Especially because when I met my husband I was a commitment phobe and hesitant to let him in! He wears his heart on his sleeve and I keep it in. I let it all hang out here though! Are you happy in the relationship? Sometimes when someone wants more feelings they want more attention and romance. What's worse? The soda or the gf?

not really looking for advice i guess, i needed to vent and be sure it made sense to more than just me

Caffeine is a tricky one. If you're trying to quit, it's better to go very slowly in small increments (just like with anti-seizure drugs). If you were a coffee drinker, you could do it by drinking coffee that's half-calf/half decaf, and then eventually going to all-decaf (which still has a little caffeine in it), before finally quitting altogether. Seeing as you're a soda drinker though, it might be a bit tougher. If you find you have fewer seizures if you stick with sodas, then might as well stay on the sodas.

Myself, I usually have one cup of tea + one soda a day (sometimes two if it's really hot). That seems to be just the right amount of caffeine for me.

thanks
I have somewhat gone back. The shape I am supposed to be in, vs this is embarrasing.

the worse part. my soda of choice doesnt even taste good anymore to me

Which is your soda of choice? (mine, unfortunately, is Tab -- it has aspartame AND saccharine in it).

ewwww

mine is dr pepper
which probably isnt much better

Yeah they're both lousy. At least yours has prune juice in it...

Diet DP for the win!!

How many sodas do you drink every day?

used to be a insane amount, with just a little water to keep my liver healthy,

now was down to 1 or less a day, but i have ramped it back up, have other things to worry about, plus I miss riding my bicycle at night.

People, please.....Pepsi is the only way to go! I usually have one or two per day, and I don't feel at all guilty about it :) Healthy is so overrated.....

You have to ween off it slowly. It has taken my 6 months to go from 4 cokes a day to the occasional 1 or 2 every other or few days. It's sad because it just tastes SOOO good. But I had way too much caffeine in my system all the time.

this point it isnt even for the flavor, it is more for the pain of not having it, and of course the seizure threshold WOOT!

I'm actually drinking one right now, all this talking of it, I simply could not resist.

went out on one of my favorite nighttime bike rides here.
did part of it very well, but got interrupted at one point, was at a difficult hill climb, got to a crest. and there was a was a pack of police cars with their lights on at a gas station. so i just ended up finding somewhere comfy to have a seizure. Was walking with my bike while post-tical, and while doing so lost my glasses. Before the seizure I took them off and hung them on my seat. and since i moved they fell off. but someone handed them to me which was nice. got home just fine.
Once I recovered I took a different route and rode home fine. still a little agravated, but such is life.

Ugh I hate it when you're just going down the road and then all of a sudden vehicles with strobe lights come out of no where :p they were the reason for the last seizure I had! They really need to tone those things down a bit they don't realize how much of the population is affected by this.

Back
Top Bottom