Being the Military and being Diagnosed with Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

hi, sorry to hear of your situation. the depression might be the keppra.

:agree:, I know the keppra made me ultra depressed.

As far as the military issue goes, I've been in the Navy 10 years. I thank the fact that my neurologist retired a month after I got the all clear kept me in. I got my commission and the last one was swept under the rug based on that fact. I was in the security force at NSA Norfolk when I had my first one. I couldn't arm up but I was able to get a position that affected the whole base's overall security. Made some good contacts which helped. So it sucks, I went through the training about filing a claim with the VA and would (and will) get some heavy disability when I get out ( in 9 years 363 days) but who is counting.:tup: Keep positive!

:agree:, I know the keppra made me ultra depressed.

As far as the military issue goes, I've been in the Navy 10 years. I thank the fact that my neurologist retired a month after I got the all clear kept me in. I got my commission and the last one was swept under the rug based on that fact. I was in the security force at NSA Norfolk when I had my first one. I couldn't arm up but I was able to get a position that affected the whole base's overall security. Made some good contacts which helped. So it sucks, I went through the training about filing a claim with the VA and would (and will) get some heavy disability when I get out ( in 9 years 363 days) but who is counting.:tup: Keep positive!

Hi Jim, so you are able to still work in the military even though you have a seizure disorder?

Yes. Back in Jan 08 I got the all clear by my Dr (who promptly retired). Have you been to a medical board yet? The last seizure I had didn't even go far (Apr 10), my Primary Care Physician didn't know what to do, so she sent me to a civilian Dr. I think that if I would have went to Bethesda or Walter Reed I would have been out of the military.

I'm pretty sure there are others that have slipped through the cracks, not just for E but for other health problems. I can't count how many people I know that take handfuls of blood pressure meds, cholesterol pills etc, etc. I have a friend who has acromegaly. He may not make O-4 but they are not kicking him out.

If a doc gives you the all clear, you may be able to dodge the med board unless or until you have an issue that affects the performance of your duties. That's how I 'dogded the bullet' for three-plus years in a combat unit and still managed to get promoted. Doc cleared me, and I didn't run into porblems until a few years later and then got med boarded. ;)

I am in about the same boat. My doctor decided that it was not serious enough to med board me. So I staying working where I am, and keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't change his mind. He told me that if I keep having seizures, he will send it to the med board. The worst thing about this whole deal is not knowing. Not knowing if I will have a seizure, or where, or when, then not knowing if I am giong to keep my job, and how I will support my family if I don't.

SeizeTheNight

In the Army the first thing they will tell you is know driving. With you being an MP you will have to change your MOS or leave the Air-force.

In the Army the first thing they will tell you is know driving. With you being an MP you will have to change your MOS or leave the Air-force.

i am surprised they woudn't say no firearms or machinery operation as well.

It would generally depend on the doctor about the firearms and heavy machinery, and also the situation of the seizure. If you have a seizure while in the field or discharging a firearm, yes, they'll probably say no firearms, but if in a different environment, they're less likely to say that...depending on the doc. ;)

Fortunately I do not handle weapons. Just computers. I have no chance of that ever changing either.

I served national service for a year, another country's military, long time ago. they automatically discharged epileptics. back then, i didnt have grand mals and didnt know i had this, so i had to serve.

Hello Mavric, and everyone. I'm new and seeking answers. My BF is in USAF also and undergoing medical retirement. Can you (or anyone) tell me how long did it take for the medical retirement process? I understand that with epilepsy, it can be a complex process. My concern is that his will be delayed by years? I would love to hear from anyone's experiences on military retirement due to epilepsy. Thank you guys.

Back
Top Bottom