Beta Blockers?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdbomb

VNS Guru
Reaction score
Anyone heard of a beta blocker used for tremors? I have a friend who has epilepsy and is asking me about this.

He shakes like he is freezing to death, shivering. It happens as he is relaxing, just before he falls to sleep. He does have restless leg syndrome, no apnea.

It would be an over-the-counter supplimen. Any feedback would be appreciate

Stacy used to do that briefly when falling asleep at night. It's been years since that was part of her seizure activity though. She used to have maybe 2 seconds of tremors as she drifted into sleep. Those tremors disappeared with the rest of her seizure activity when she tried the EEG neurofeedback for the first time. The tremors did not return (nor did the absense seizures) when her other seizure activity resumed after delivering our first child.

Looking around on Google, it appears that beta blockers are mostly used for hypertension and circulatory problems.

Don suffered from 2 bouts of pleurisy and pneumonia a couple of years ago and that is when the shivering began. He says it's like a wave that begins mid-torso, moves up to chest, shoulders arms then back down and into his stomach.

His neuro never heard of anything like this (we had the same idiot doctor) but even his new doctor is stumped. A friend of his mentioned someting about the beta-blockers but could not remember exactly what he should try.

Don knows how much my OTC suppliments have changed my sz patterns and he's willing to try something other than drugs. One other thing, for the first time he is now becoming aware of his sz. He never knew when he had them before ( like Howdy Dave)but now he says it's like watching someone else in his body doing these things. It really has him freaked.

Back
Top Bottom