Borage Oil, Evening Primrose = GLA/Omega 6 fatty acid

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
GLA and Seizures

People with epilepsy should avoid consuming borage oil as GLA may lower the seizure threshold (Miller, 1998). As a source of GLA, borage oil may also cause harmful interactions with anticonvulsant drugs (such as phenobarbitals) or with drugs that lower the seizure threshold (tricyclic antidepressants and phenothiazines).
Borage Oil Report

It's a very interesting read. I recommend it. 8)

There is a nifty chart on page 5 showing the breakdown of fatty acid components for many common oils:
fatty-acid-content-fats-oils.PNG

Looks like Stacy and I need to stop using butter, sunflower and safflower oils and stick with extra virgin olive oil.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information--i use butter when i bake but the rest of the time it's extra virgin olive oil for me--i love the stuff anyway LOL
Kim

olive oil

I was wondering if there is a difference between cold pressed, twice pressed, and any other variety that there may be. Also, between grecian, Italian/Mediteranean, and American oils.
I just turned a friend on to olive oil. and I want to make sure that I gave him the best info possible.

Yes.

Cold pressed indicates how it is pressed - ie. the olives are pressed without heat (which is good)

First pressing indicates the oil is from the first attempt at pressing the olives. This is also termed extra virgin.

The best quality olive oil is the first cold pressing (extra virgin olive oil). It should have a slight sweetness and aroma to it.

The difference between Grecian, Italian and American oils will be the quality of the olives used (subjective) and the time/aging resulting from exporting/shipping (fresher is better).

wikipedia has a decent page explaining the system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil

The olive tree, a small evergreen native to Mediterranean regions, has been revered throughout history for its contribution to the culinary and healing arts. Its extracts have been used for thousands of years as a folk remedy for treating fevers, wounds, and infection, and for skin rashes and boils.1 The oil is symbolic of purity and goodness, the olive branch represents peace and prosperity, and Greek Olympians were crowned with a wreath of olive leaves.

Now, scientific research has proven that the active ingredients in olive leaves do indeed have vast healing powers.

# Protecting low density lipoprotein from oxidation
# Inhibiting the growth of bacteria and viruses
# Inhibiting platelet aggregation and production of thromboxane
# Exerting a vasodilator effect
# Providing potent antioxidant protection
http://www.smart-publications.com/the_common_cold/olive_leaf_extract.php

Was this considered The Tree of Life?

Canola Oil = Motor Oil

LOL - you might as well almost use
3 in 1 Oil

A Doctor long time ago told me that.
:rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes:

But I use Olive Oil or Veggie Oil only.

Taste like it too, Brain.
yuk.gif

With a few exceptions, I stick with the olive oil. I like to try different brands mainly for flavor.

The Borage Oil link isn't working Bernard. I am not familiar with that term, so I would like to know more about this.

There is also a difference in some of the olive oils, some can retain their integrity while cooked in high heat, and others can not. Some mfg. are including this on their labels.

I sent an email to someone related to the site referenced in the original link. Hopefully I will get some positive feedback on either a new link for the document or a copy of it that can be attached to this thread.

OK. They got the report back online and I've updated the link for it. :)

The results of the few studies using borage oil as the source of GLA in the treatment of atopic eczema are inconclusive...
However, a small subgroup of the population studied (those
with increased red blood cell DGLA levels) did show significant improvement, suggesting that further studies of this type with borage oil are warranted (Henz et al, 1999).
Although the precise cause of atopic disease is uncertain, it has been proposed that defective delta-6-desaturase function and abnormal eicosanoid synthesis may be involved

eicosanoids are signaling molecules derived from omega-3 (ω-3) or omega-6 (ω-6) fats. They exert complex control over many bodily systems, especially in inflammation, immunity and as messengers in the central nervous system. The networks of controls that depend upon eicosanoids are among the most complex in the human body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eicosanoid

The amounts of these fats in a person's diet will affect the body's eicosanoid-controlled functions, with effects on cardiovascular disease, triglycerides, blood pressure, and arthritis. Anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin and NSAIDs act by downregulating eicosanoid synthesis.

thank you! i will be studying. thinking back 25 years, i gave my son flax seed oil on a regular basis. then stopped when he began to have seizures and i thought the late onset of epilepsy had to be something in the environment, diet, stars. i researched any possible idea, thought, inspiration - any clue from anywhere. i drove myself, family and neurologists crazy with non stop suggestions and ideas. i just couldn't accept that he was so high functioning, healthy and then having 30 minute absence seizures several times a week that didn't respond to medication (the "atypical" was be best clue, and a strange slow spike and wave brain pattern, with spikes every 10 seconds). tried the ketogenic diet in 1994 helped just for a few months - the honeymoon effect, we call it at our home. he was one of the first to be put on it - i took him to Johns Hopkins in 1994.

i am really not sure of the oils/GLA but feel that i must research the gastric seizure disorder link. many thanks, again Robin - this is my first attempt on the internet to cast out threads.

So glad to have you here.
I love to hear positive outcomes from non conventional therapies.

The saturated fat in coconut oil is high but it is fat from a coconut not animal. This is good for you. Coconut (unrefined virgin only) is so good for you in my opinion. People freak when they see the saturated fat %. I'm a vegetarian, only about 2 years and feel and look amazing. Coconut oil is a part of my everyday along with olive oil. However, I read that high heat cooking with olive oil changes it to (something bad). Sorry lots of seizures this weekend and can't think straight. We use olive oil on our salads but have stopped cooking with it. It's worth researching. I try to drizzle olive oil on as much a possible so i think we get it everyday but only in its pure state.

I have coconut oil in capsules to ingest, and coconut oil as body lotion. It heals the skin without suffocating it.

thank you for the idea of coconut oil, which i knew was fantastic and have some in my pantry. i sometimes wonder, though, if oils (and even peanut butter) might coat the stomach and prevent absorption of medications.

i wish i also knew how male hormones affect seizure activity and if any thing in the environment, food, additives changes male hormone levels.

i know that allergic rhinitis lowers my son's seizure threshold. pollens make my rheumatoid arthritis worse.

GASTRIC epilepsy - wonder if the lack of oils could be a factor.

Mineral oil is the worst thing for you. I don't think coconut oil is bad.

Back
Top Bottom